Alaska Airlines’ California expansion lands in Monterey
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Next up in Alaska Airlines expansion to California is a new route Monterey, which will get nonstop flights to the carrier’s Seattle hub.
Alaska will launch daily service between Seattle (SEA) and Monterey (MRY) on June 18, the airline said Wednesday. The flight will operate daily on an Embraer 175 jets with 76 seats. The carrier has served Monterey from San Diego since 2012.
The new route is the latest in Alaska’s deepening of its network between the Pacific Northwest and California. Beginning this month and continuing through June, the carrier will add 11 new routes in the market. Among those are Boise (BOI)-Los Angeles (LAX); Portland, Oregon (PDX)-San Luis Obispo (SBP); and Redmond/Bend (RDM)-San Francisco (SFO).
The growth comes as Alaska trims its network to the Midwest from California, particularly out of its San Diego (SAN) focus city.
“There are so many places within the West where we’re really good,” Alaska chief financial officer Brandon Pedersen said about the new West Coast routes in September. “We’ve got point-of-sale on both sides [of these West Coast markets], strong loyalty – that’s a much higher profit potential use of the airplane.”
In the first half of 2020, Alaska’s capacity will be up more than 7% year-over-year between California and Idaho, Oregon and Washington, according to Cirium schedule data. At the same time, capacity between California and the Midwest will be down nearly 42%.
Alaska will be the first airline to fly nonstop between Seattle and Monterey since at least 2004, according to Cirium schedules.
Featured image by Edward Russell/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees