Alaska Airlines’ California expansion lands in Monterey
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Next up in Alaska Airlines expansion to California is a new route Monterey, which will get nonstop flights to the carrier’s Seattle hub.
Alaska will launch daily service between Seattle (SEA) and Monterey (MRY) on June 18, the airline said Wednesday. The flight will operate daily on an Embraer 175 jets with 76 seats. The carrier has served Monterey from San Diego since 2012.
The new route is the latest in Alaska’s deepening of its network between the Pacific Northwest and California. Beginning this month and continuing through June, the carrier will add 11 new routes in the market. Among those are Boise (BOI)-Los Angeles (LAX); Portland, Oregon (PDX)-San Luis Obispo (SBP); and Redmond/Bend (RDM)-San Francisco (SFO).
The growth comes as Alaska trims its network to the Midwest from California, particularly out of its San Diego (SAN) focus city.
“There are so many places within the West where we’re really good,” Alaska chief financial officer Brandon Pedersen said about the new West Coast routes in September. “We’ve got point-of-sale on both sides [of these West Coast markets], strong loyalty – that’s a much higher profit potential use of the airplane.”
In the first half of 2020, Alaska’s capacity will be up more than 7% year-over-year between California and Idaho, Oregon and Washington, according to Cirium schedule data. At the same time, capacity between California and the Midwest will be down nearly 42%.
Alaska will be the first airline to fly nonstop between Seattle and Monterey since at least 2004, according to Cirium schedules.
Featured image by Edward Russell/TPG.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.