Marriott Confirms Al Maha Award Stays Will Include Meals and Activities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Category 8 pricing began on March 5, 2019. This means the 60,000-point pricing detailed below is no longer available. For details on Marriott redemption options, please visit How to Redeem Points With the Marriott Bonvoy Program.
One of the most exciting aspects of the Marriott/SPG integration was the fact that all legacy SPG properties fit into the standard award chart. To make this even more lucrative, luxurious resorts like the St. Regis Maldives and St. Regis Bora Bora are currently bookable for just 60,000 points per night through March 2019, when the program will introduce Category 8 pricing. Unfortunately, one of the top properties in this tier (Al Maha, a Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa) recently indicated that award stays would no longer include meals and activities, a big hit to one of the best redemption options in the new program.
Well, it appears that Marriott is now either reversing course or holding the property’s feet to the proverbial award fire. Per View from the Wing, the program has confirmed that Al Maha “is reverting back to the old inclusive award pricing” and will once again include meals and activities for all guests, regardless of their method of payment.
It’s worth noting that this development is still not reflected in the online search results:
However, this is a very positive development for those looking to get fantastic value from their Marriott points. Spending 60,000 Marriott Rewards points for a luxurious suite plus food and activities is an absolute steal. Even when Category 8 pricing kicks in and the property jumps to 85,000 points per night (or even 100,000 points on peak dates), I’d argue that this property will still be a great redemption with food and activities included.
More broadly, I sincerely hope that this represents the type of approach that Marriott will take in 2019 to reassert itself as a program that takes care of its members. It’s no secret that the integration wasn’t as smooth as many had hoped, and I’ve heard (personally) from dozens of SPG elite members who felt that the new program and the issues that have come up since the August 18 integration left them questioning their loyalty. If Marriott continues to takes steps like this, it may go a long way toward regaining some loyalty that’s been lost.
We have reached out to Marriott and will report back once this update is live on Marriott’s site.
H/T: View from the Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.