This airport just brought back my favorite amenity; I wish more would follow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in the day, I used to fly from cold winters in Washington, D.C., down to the sunny climes of Naples, Florida, to visit my godmother. Because it was so cold, I’d need to drag my winter coat with me for the beginning and the end of the trip — which was always a big pain. My Florida flights were always full (because who doesn’t want to leave the cold and snow for sun and temperatures in the 80s?) and so were the overhead bins, forcing me sometimes to wear or sit on my coat. And every time I did that, I always wondered why airports didn’t offer coat checks for snowbirds like me.
Happy #FirstDayOfWinter! To spread some warmth — we’re surprising passengers who check their coat at the Summerfest Marketplace today with a free gift while supplies last! ❄️🧥 pic.twitter.com/qj0sbR9r9y
— MKE – Milwaukee Airport (@MitchellAirport) December 21, 2021
Thankfully, Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport (MKE) has heard my cry. Back by popular demand, the airport is offering its coat check service for the third straight year. Working with airport concessionaire Paradies Lagardère, locals flying to warmer weather can check their coats inside the Summerfest Marketplace’s pre-security location for only $2 a day, or $10 per trip.
So this means you no longer have to wear your bulky coat, gloves and other unneeded items on the plane when escaping to warm-weather locations. It solves the problem of trying to stuff your winter coat into your luggage. It frees up space in the overhead bins on the airplanes. And it keeps you from looking silly when you get off the plane in, say, Cancun or Montego Bay in your T-shirt, shorts, flip-flops and a big puffy coat.
Milwaukee will offer nonstop flights to cities in Florida, Arizona, California, Mexico and the Caribbean this winter, making this coat check service convenient for travelers. Airports Council International-North America, which represents airports, recognized Milwaukee’s airport for this unique service in 2020.
This isn’t the only airport to ever offer the service. Frankfurt Airport (FRA) is another facility that offers the ability to leave behind your winter coat during warm-weather getaways. For around 50 cents per day, per item, jackets and coats are stored next to the luggage storage service at Frankfurt Airport’s Terminal 1, Concourse B (Arrivals) from October to April. And for a short stint in 2014, JetBlue used to offer a coat check amenity at New York City’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK).
Here’s hoping a simpler version of that comes back and we have coat check service at more airports.
Featured photo by DAVID GANNON/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.