This airport now lets warm-weather travelers check their winter coats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport (MKE) is no stranger to offering innovative amenities for passengers.
MKE airport is home to Renaissance Books, selling used and rare books; plenty of shops selling Wisconsin cheeses and cheese curds; the Miller Brewhouse, with taps that allow you to pour your own beers; and the impressive Mitchell Gallery of Flight, an aviation museum celebrating Wisconsin’s flight heritage, which is currently under renovation. And because Milwaukee is the home of Harley-Davidson, MKE offers free parking for motorcycles (by baggage claim).
Now, just as the spring break rush is about to begin, MKE has rolled out a smart new amenity for travelers: a winter coat check. Located inside the recently opened Summerfest Marketplace in the airport’s pre-security concession mall, the coat check will store winter coats for travelers heading to warm weather destinations.
The Summerfest Marketplace opens at 3:45 a.m. to accommodate travelers heading to early flights and should be open until the last flights of the night arrive. Coat storage costs $2 a day, with a maximum charge of $10. MKE officials say there’s room to store as many coats as people want to leave behind. And, as you can see from this MKE Facebook post, coats are kept safe inside a locked closet.
Leaving your winter coat at the airport makes a lot of sense. It solves the problem of trying to stuff your winter coat into your luggage. It frees up space in the overhead bins on the airplanes. And it keeps you from looking silly when you get off the plane in, say, Cancun or Montego Bay in your T-shirt, shorts, flip-flops and a big puffy coat.
While MKE may be the only U.S. airport currently offering this makes-so-much-sense service, they are not the first airport to do so. As part of its baggage storage services, Frankfurt Airport offers winter coat storage service from October through April for just €0.50 a day in Terminal 1, Concourse B. Korean Air offers a coat storage service at both Incheon International Airport (Terminal 2) and Gimhae (Busan) International Airport from December through February. Storage is complimentary for five days, with a charge of about $2 a day after that.
And for a short while back in 2014, there was high-tech coat check service in the JetBlue terminal at JFK. The service, which charged $2 a day and $10 for a week of coat storage, was advertised as a big improvement on “old-fashioned” coat check systems.
Here’s hoping a simpler version of that comes back and we have coat check service at more airports.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees