Air New Zealand Eyeing Nonstop Auckland to New York Route, New Class of Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air New Zealand chief executive Christopher Luxon has reaffirmed that he is looking to add nonstop service between Auckland and New York. Per FlightGlobal, he recently stated that one of the airline’s big ambitions “is to land a flight from Auckland to New York,” noting that Boeing’s 787-9 Dreamliner would likely be the aircraft of choice to cover the nearly 9,000-mile journey.
Specifics beyond that were thin, though the report does mention a prospective launch window of 2022 to 2023. Luxon added: “The 787-9 could get there today, depending on how we configure it, so that’s a great starting point, and we’ll look at all the other options after that.”
If secured, the flight wouldn’t quite be the world’s longest (currently held by Singapore Airlines’ marathon route between Newark and Singapore), but it would best other long-haul heroes such as Delta’s 8,439-mile jaunt between Atlanta and Johannesburg and Philippine Airlines’ 8,519-mile flight between Manila and New York.
In addition to the 787-9 news, the airline recently signed a contract with Boeing for 8 extended-length Boeing 787-10 Dreamliners. It’s expected that those jets will replace the airline’s current 777-200ER fleet.
In the same investor day presentation, the airline also said it’s considering a new cabin class for passengers on long-haul flights. Per a Newsroom report, the new cabin class will fall between Air New Zealand’s current Economy and Premium Economy and be priced to match. It’s expected to be treated like Delta’s Comfort+, American’s Main Cabin Extra and United’s Economy Plus — essentially, an extra legroom version of standard coach seating.
Chief revenue officer Cam Wallace informed attendees that the new class of economy seat would “be at the front of the economy cabin, have slightly more legroom, [and] offer more Airpoints,” though he gave no indication of when passengers should expect to see it rolled out.
Interestingly, he also said that Air New Zealand is “investing heavily in machine-learning software not only to make better forecasts about future demand, but also to support ‘hyper-personalized’ marketing to the airline’s customers, with a view to individuals getting fare offers based on the data the airline holds about them.” That doesn’t sound too far from what Delta is implementing.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Additional reporting by Darren Murph; featured Photo by Chad Slattery.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees