Air France-KLM Orders up to 60 A220s, Plans A380 Retirement
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air France-KLM has committed to ordering up to 60 Airbus A220-300s, as part of a larger fleet shakeup that will also see its Airbus A380s disappear over the next three years.
The memorandum of understanding with Airbus covers 30 firm A220-300s plus 30 options with deliveries from Sept. 2021, Air France-KLM said on Tuesday. The aircraft will replace aging Airbus A318 and A319s in the Air France fleet.
“The acquisition of these brand-new A220-300s aligns perfectly with Air France-KLM’s overall fleet modernization and harmonization strategy,” said Benjamin Smith, CEO of the Air France-KLM Group. “This aircraft… is perfectly adapted to our domestic and European network and will enable Air France to operate more efficiently on its short and medium-haul routes.”
Air France says the A220-300, previously known as the Bombardier CS300, will seat 149 passengers with a range of 2,647 miles.
The carrier operated 18 A318s and 33 A319s at the end of March, its latest fleet plan shows.
In its decision to retire the A380 by 2022, Air France-KLM cites the Airbus superjumbo’s fuel burn per seat that it says is 20-25% higher than for new-generation aircraft. Airbus’ decision to end the A380 program, as well as maintenance and cabin retrofit expenses, also factored into the decision.
The A380 announcement was widely expected. Speculation had swirled for months that Air France may retire the fleet.
Passengers seeking to fly on the A380 before it goes still have several of options. The aircraft fly between Air France‘s Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) base and seven destinations, including Los Angeles (LAX), New York JFK and Washington Dulles (IAD), according to Diio by Cirium data.
Air France-KLM has firm orders for both Airbus A350 and Boeing 787 widebodies.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees