Air China slashes U.S. network to ‘essential’ routes amid coronavirus outbreak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air China is slashing its network to the U.S. to just two routes to maintain “essential air connectivity” amid the drop off in demand due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The Beijing-based carrier will fly from its Beijing Capital (PEK) base to San Francisco (SFO) via a stop in Los Angeles (LAX), and Washington Dulles (IAD) via New York John F. Kennedy beginning Feb. 11, Air China said in an emergency request to the U.S. Department of Transportation on Feb. 2. The changes were first reported by PaxEx.Aero.
Beijing-Los Angeles-San Francisco: Four flights per week on a Boeing 777-300ER from Feb. 11.
Beijing-New York-Washington: Three flights per week on a 777-300ER from Feb. 12.
Air China, which normally serves Los Angeles, New York JFK, San Francisco and Washington nonstop from Beijing, will suspend the rest of its U.S. flights. Suspended services include flights between Beijing and Houston Intercontinental (IAH) and Newark (EWR) and between Shenzhen (SZX) and Los Angeles. Air China also will suspend its service between Houston and Panama City, Panama (PTY).
“Air China’s goal is to maintain critical and essential air connectivity between China and the United States during this difficult time in the most economical way,” the Star Alliance carrier said in its request to the DOT.
The airline has requested temporary authority to maintain its revised U.S. network for 180 days, or until early August.
Air China’s decision to slash its U.S. network amid the growing coroanvirus outbreak follows similar moves from China Eastern Airlines and Hainan Airlines. American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines have, or imminently will, suspended all service to mainland China.
Featured image by WANG ZHAO/AFP/Getty Image.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.