Air China slashes U.S. network to ‘essential’ routes amid coronavirus outbreak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air China is slashing its network to the U.S. to just two routes to maintain “essential air connectivity” amid the drop off in demand due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The Beijing-based carrier will fly from its Beijing Capital (PEK) base to San Francisco (SFO) via a stop in Los Angeles (LAX), and Washington Dulles (IAD) via New York John F. Kennedy beginning Feb. 11, Air China said in an emergency request to the U.S. Department of Transportation on Feb. 2. The changes were first reported by PaxEx.Aero.
Beijing-Los Angeles-San Francisco: Four flights per week on a Boeing 777-300ER from Feb. 11.
Beijing-New York-Washington: Three flights per week on a 777-300ER from Feb. 12.
Air China, which normally serves Los Angeles, New York JFK, San Francisco and Washington nonstop from Beijing, will suspend the rest of its U.S. flights. Suspended services include flights between Beijing and Houston Intercontinental (IAH) and Newark (EWR) and between Shenzhen (SZX) and Los Angeles. Air China also will suspend its service between Houston and Panama City, Panama (PTY).
“Air China’s goal is to maintain critical and essential air connectivity between China and the United States during this difficult time in the most economical way,” the Star Alliance carrier said in its request to the DOT.
The airline has requested temporary authority to maintain its revised U.S. network for 180 days, or until early August.
Air China’s decision to slash its U.S. network amid the growing coroanvirus outbreak follows similar moves from China Eastern Airlines and Hainan Airlines. American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines have, or imminently will, suspended all service to mainland China.
Featured image by WANG ZHAO/AFP/Getty Image.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.