Air China slashes U.S. network to ‘essential’ routes amid coronavirus outbreak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air China is slashing its network to the U.S. to just two routes to maintain “essential air connectivity” amid the drop off in demand due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The Beijing-based carrier will fly from its Beijing Capital (PEK) base to San Francisco (SFO) via a stop in Los Angeles (LAX), and Washington Dulles (IAD) via New York John F. Kennedy beginning Feb. 11, Air China said in an emergency request to the U.S. Department of Transportation on Feb. 2. The changes were first reported by PaxEx.Aero.
Beijing-Los Angeles-San Francisco: Four flights per week on a Boeing 777-300ER from Feb. 11.
Beijing-New York-Washington: Three flights per week on a 777-300ER from Feb. 12.
Air China, which normally serves Los Angeles, New York JFK, San Francisco and Washington nonstop from Beijing, will suspend the rest of its U.S. flights. Suspended services include flights between Beijing and Houston Intercontinental (IAH) and Newark (EWR) and between Shenzhen (SZX) and Los Angeles. Air China also will suspend its service between Houston and Panama City, Panama (PTY).
“Air China’s goal is to maintain critical and essential air connectivity between China and the United States during this difficult time in the most economical way,” the Star Alliance carrier said in its request to the DOT.
The airline has requested temporary authority to maintain its revised U.S. network for 180 days, or until early August.
Air China’s decision to slash its U.S. network amid the growing coroanvirus outbreak follows similar moves from China Eastern Airlines and Hainan Airlines. American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines have, or imminently will, suspended all service to mainland China.
Featured image by WANG ZHAO/AFP/Getty Image.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees