Air Canada takes on WestJet with new California nonstop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada will add a new route to California, taking on rival WestJet with nonstop service between Vancouver and Orange County’s John Wayne Airport.
Flights begin June 15, when Air Canada will begin offering one daily round-trip flight between the cities. The carrier will fly the route year-round with Airbus A319 jets that seat 14 in business class and 106 in economy.
Mark Galardo, Air Canada’s vice president, network planning and alliances, said in a statement that the new route is a way to “strategically expand our trans-border network into the populous greater Los Angeles area.”
Galardo added the carrier expected the flights would appeal to the “start-up, tech and innovator businesses” in each of the markets.
The new service comes as Air Canada has ramped up its U.S. presence in recent years. That’s included a push to compete for U.S. travelers flying overseas routes to Europe and Asia, with Air Canada saying its hubs in Toronto (YYZ), Vancouver (YVR) and Montreal (YUL) are often favorable connecting points for travelers from non-hub markets in the U.S.
Picking up on that theme, Galardo noted that “Air Canada’s Orange County flights will also offer a wide array of connections across Canada and to Australia and India via our YVR hub.”
Air Canada will face direct competition on the new route from Canadian rival WestJet. That carrier, Canada’s second-largest behind Air Canada, has flown nonstop between Vancouver and Orange County since 2011, according to Cirium schedule data.
The airlines’ service to Vancouver is currently the only nonstop route to Canada scheduled from the Orange County airport.
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees