Reminder: Aeroplan is going offline ahead of its new program launch – here’s everything you need to know
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest information.
Exciting changes are coming to the Air Canada Aeroplan loyalty program next week. Many awards will be cheaper than before. Families will be able to pool their points; you’ll be able to earn elite status without flying and more.
Many existing program features and services will be briefly unavailable in preparation for the overhaul while the airline updates its system.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Air Canada Aeroplan transition period
As Air Canada prepares for the new Aeroplan program’s launch, many features and services will be temporarily unavailable. While most functionality will only be paused for two days, some features will be unavailable for longer.
Here are the biggest changes you need to be aware of:
- It will not be possible to book new Aeroplan flight rewards or to change or cancel an existing flight reward from the evening of Nov. 6 through the afternoon of Nov. 8. Passengers traveling during this time will be able to get support over the phone.
- Non-air rewards, including merchandise, gift cards and other travel rewards, will not be available for redemption from the evening of Nov. 6 through the afternoon of Nov. 8.
- Points conversions from partner programs, such as American Express Membership Rewards and Capital One, will be unavailable as early as 4 p.m. ET on Nov. 5 through the afternoon of Nov. 8.
- There will be a delay in crediting points earned between Oct. 30 and Nov. 9. They will automatically be credited beginning Nov. 10.
- Star Alliance Upgrade Awards (SAUAs) have been paused for Aeroplan members since Oct. 31 and will not be available again until later in 2021.
If all goes as planned, this short downtime shouldn’t affect many passengers, given the lower demand in travel right now. People who are traveling during the transition period should still be able to get support over the phone. Hopefully, Air Canada is able to stick to its timeline and won’t have longer-lasting issues as it did after its last major system update last year.
Air Canada is recommending passengers download the latest version of the airline’s app and ensure that all of their information in their online account is up to date. Both the Aeroplan website and mobile app will be permanently decommissioned as the new program launches.
Featured image by Heather Dunbar/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees