Reminder: Aeroplan is going offline ahead of its new program launch – here’s everything you need to know
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest information.
Exciting changes are coming to the Air Canada Aeroplan loyalty program next week. Many awards will be cheaper than before. Families will be able to pool their points; you’ll be able to earn elite status without flying and more.
Many existing program features and services will be briefly unavailable in preparation for the overhaul while the airline updates its system.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Air Canada Aeroplan transition period
As Air Canada prepares for the new Aeroplan program’s launch, many features and services will be temporarily unavailable. While most functionality will only be paused for two days, some features will be unavailable for longer.
Here are the biggest changes you need to be aware of:
- It will not be possible to book new Aeroplan flight rewards or to change or cancel an existing flight reward from the evening of Nov. 6 through the afternoon of Nov. 8. Passengers traveling during this time will be able to get support over the phone.
- Non-air rewards, including merchandise, gift cards and other travel rewards, will not be available for redemption from the evening of Nov. 6 through the afternoon of Nov. 8.
- Points conversions from partner programs, such as American Express Membership Rewards and Capital One, will be unavailable as early as 4 p.m. ET on Nov. 5 through the afternoon of Nov. 8.
- There will be a delay in crediting points earned between Oct. 30 and Nov. 9. They will automatically be credited beginning Nov. 10.
- Star Alliance Upgrade Awards (SAUAs) have been paused for Aeroplan members since Oct. 31 and will not be available again until later in 2021.
If all goes as planned, this short downtime shouldn’t affect many passengers, given the lower demand in travel right now. People who are traveling during the transition period should still be able to get support over the phone. Hopefully, Air Canada is able to stick to its timeline and won’t have longer-lasting issues as it did after its last major system update last year.
Air Canada is recommending passengers download the latest version of the airline’s app and ensure that all of their information in their online account is up to date. Both the Aeroplan website and mobile app will be permanently decommissioned as the new program launches.
Featured image by Heather Dunbar/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.