Abu Dhabi airport to offer free COVID-19 tests with results in 90 minutes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers arriving at Abu Dhabi International Airport will be offered a free COVID-19 test with results available in just 90 minutes, it has been reported.
The in-airport rapid testing facility is the first of its kind in the region and the Abu Dhabi government also claims the tests are among the fastest in the world.
The lab can handle up to 20,000 people a day, and all passengers arriving through terminals 1 and 3 will be tested before their results being sent to them via Whatsapp, text or on an app.
According to local news outlet the Khaleej Times, it will be a 24-hour operation with 190 staff working in rotation.
“The fact that this is the first airport in the region to contain its own dedicated PCR testing laboratory is testament to our commitment … to continuously innovate and look for new ways to deliver a safe, smooth and seamless travel experience for all our passengers.
Related: Abu Dhabi has reopened to tourism
“The new fast testing facility … will not only enable passengers to confidently travel to Abu Dhabi but significantly enhance the efficiency of our operations while supporting global efforts to curb the spread of Covid-19,” Shareef Hashim Al Hashmi, Chief Executive Officer of Abu Dhabi Airports, said in a statement.
After testing, if passengers are from the Emirates’ “green list” — the U.S. is not currently on it — and test negative for coronavirus, they will not have to quarantine. Everyone else will have to self-isolate for 10 days while wearing a “quarantine wristband” obtained from the PCR testing tent attached to the airport.
Scores of British influencers and reality stars were recently blasted for jetting into Dubai and Abu Dhabi during lockdown claiming they were there or “work reasons”.
They were even criticised by Home Secretary Priti Patel in the U.K. Houses of Commons for “showing off in the sun”. Both Abu Dhabi and Dubai have since been taken off the U.K.’s travel corridor.
Meanwhile, if you’re looking for somewhere else to go, check out our constantly updated country-by-country guide for more on when your destination of choice plans to welcome guests.
Featured photo by ugurhan/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees