What to Do if You Can’t Get Through the AA Elite Phone Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 7/5/2018: American Airlines has confirmed that the “tech glitch” that was improperly routing callers has now been fixed.
We are getting multiple reports from TPG readers this weekend of an issue with American Airlines’ phone system. When some AAdvantage elite members are calling their elite help desk phone number, they’re being told that AAdvantage Customer Service is “closed at this time.” The message directs members to call back “during business hours” before the call is disconnected.
I conference-called with an Executive Platinum member who’s experiencing this issue. In his particular case, his cell phone number isn’t listed in his AAdvantage profile. So, when he calls the American Airlines Executive Platinum desk, he’s prompted to state his AAdvantage number. Once he does, the phone system directs his call to the AAdvantage Customer Service desk instead of the Executive Platinum desk.
While the Executive Platinum desk is manned 24/7, the AAdvantage Customer Service line is only open from Monday-Friday from 8am-7pm Central Time. That’s why he’s getting this message about the office being closed.
Two other elites in a Facebook group dedicated to Executive Platinum members are reporting the same issue when calling the AAdvantage Executive Platinum phone number. But, the issue isn’t just limited to Executive Platinum elites. We are hearing about the same issue from an AAdvantage Gold elite who is calling the dedicated AAdvantage Gold help desk line.
I have been working with American Airlines to get more information. So far, AA has been unable to reproduce the error but is working with its technical support team to address the issue.
In the meantime, AA is suggesting that elite members ensure that their phone number is listed in their AAdvantage account. That way, the system should automatically recognize your phone number and direct you to the Executive Platinum desk.
If you’re still having an issue, make sure that the phone number you’re calling from is only listed in one AAdvantage account. For example, it’s probably not best to list your work phone number in your account, as others may have listed the same number. Instead, list your cell phone number and call from that number.
If you continue to get this error, I’d recommend calling the general reservations line (800-433-7300) and then not providing your AAdvantage account number when prompted. Unfortunately, you’ll likely have to wait longer to reach an agent than if you called the elite help desk. But, once you verify status with the first agent, you should be transferred to your elite help desk for further assistance.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees