What to Do if You Can’t Get Through the AA Elite Phone Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 7/5/2018: American Airlines has confirmed that the “tech glitch” that was improperly routing callers has now been fixed.
We are getting multiple reports from TPG readers this weekend of an issue with American Airlines’ phone system. When some AAdvantage elite members are calling their elite help desk phone number, they’re being told that AAdvantage Customer Service is “closed at this time.” The message directs members to call back “during business hours” before the call is disconnected.
I conference-called with an Executive Platinum member who’s experiencing this issue. In his particular case, his cell phone number isn’t listed in his AAdvantage profile. So, when he calls the American Airlines Executive Platinum desk, he’s prompted to state his AAdvantage number. Once he does, the phone system directs his call to the AAdvantage Customer Service desk instead of the Executive Platinum desk.
While the Executive Platinum desk is manned 24/7, the AAdvantage Customer Service line is only open from Monday-Friday from 8am-7pm Central Time. That’s why he’s getting this message about the office being closed.
Two other elites in a Facebook group dedicated to Executive Platinum members are reporting the same issue when calling the AAdvantage Executive Platinum phone number. But, the issue isn’t just limited to Executive Platinum elites. We are hearing about the same issue from an AAdvantage Gold elite who is calling the dedicated AAdvantage Gold help desk line.
I have been working with American Airlines to get more information. So far, AA has been unable to reproduce the error but is working with its technical support team to address the issue.
In the meantime, AA is suggesting that elite members ensure that their phone number is listed in their AAdvantage account. That way, the system should automatically recognize your phone number and direct you to the Executive Platinum desk.
If you’re still having an issue, make sure that the phone number you’re calling from is only listed in one AAdvantage account. For example, it’s probably not best to list your work phone number in your account, as others may have listed the same number. Instead, list your cell phone number and call from that number.
If you continue to get this error, I’d recommend calling the general reservations line (800-433-7300) and then not providing your AAdvantage account number when prompted. Unfortunately, you’ll likely have to wait longer to reach an agent than if you called the elite help desk. But, once you verify status with the first agent, you should be transferred to your elite help desk for further assistance.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.