American Airlines Threatens to Bar Passengers From Changing Nonrefundable Tickets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has threatened to retaliate against new regulations in the proposed FAA Reauthorization Bill by barring passengers from changing nonrefundable tickets.
Doug Parker, American Airlines Chief Executive Officer, told reporters on Tuesday that your “nonrefundable ticket is of value to us. We knew that seat was going to be filled. It allowed us to do other things. We sold the rest of the airplane knowing that seat was going to be filled.”
The proposed bill would regulate seat size, bar passengers from making voice calls on airplanes and prevent airlines from bumping guests who had boarded planes that were already at capacity. What’s upsetting American Airlines are the the new limitations on the additional fees that it can charge. Specifically, changes to nonrefundable fares, which can run up to $200 and often anger passengers.
Parker claims that the proposal would not be beneficial for consumers despite support from consumer groups, Bloomberg reports.
The FAA’s reauthorization of the bill, which expires on Sept. 30, has yet to pass the committee. With both parties in agreement about a majority of the bill, specifics on fees were not included in the House version of the bill.
Featured Image by Benji Stawski
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.