American Airlines Passengers With Nut Allergies Will Soon Be Able to Preboard Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In early September, a leaked memo revealed that American Airlines was planning on letting “customers with nut allergies to pre-board flights to wipe down surfaces.” The airline quickly reached out to TPG after we published this report to clarify that it was a proposed policy and noted that the “process is still ongoing.”
It’s been a long silence in the two months since that leaked memo, but American Airlines is now working to enact this policy. While the details of how this will work in practice are still to be announced, nut allergy sufferers now have a date when they’ll be able to pre-board flights: Dec. 12.
An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed to TPG on Wednesday that this policy will go in effect on that date. Bloomberg reports that this is when the crew flight-service manuals will be updated with the new policy. Starting Dec. 12, “customers with nut allergies who would like to board flights early to wipe down surfaces may ask to do so at the gate.”
While American Airlines doesn’t service peanuts on board, it does serve a variety of other nuts in premium cabins. And the airline “can’t guarantee our customers won’t be exposed to peanuts during their trip.”
The policy follows in the heels of other airlines that have implemented similar policies — including United, Singapore and Southwest — and high-profile situations involving nut allergy sufferers collapsing on American Airlines flights. AA was also the subject of a Department of Transportation (DOT) complaint back in December 2017, when a mother complained that she could not pre-board the plane to clean up the area where her nut-allergic child would sit.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees