American and Hyatt Elites Now Get Reciprocal Benefits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As we reported back in March, American Airlines AAdvantage and World of Hyatt are joining forces to incentivize members from both programs to do business with the other, with a structure and benefits similar to the (now defunct) Crossover Rewards partnership between Delta and SPG.
Members can link their accounts now to begin taking advantage of benefits, which vary depending on your tier. First, Hyatt elites can earn 1 bonus point per $1 spent on qualifying AA flights, while all American elites can earn 1 bonus mile per $1 spent on qualifying Hyatt stays.
Both programs are offering elite-status “fast track” offers as well, though these may vary from one member to the next, and are only available to Hyatt Explorist or Globalist elites looking for status with American, or AAdvantage Platinum members or above seeking status with Hyatt. Additionally, ConciergeKey members will receive top-tier Hyatt Globalist status.
As a World of Hyatt Globalist and AAdvantage Gold, I wasn’t targeted for an offer myself, but an AA Platinum Pro colleague did receive an offer for trial Hyatt Explorist status, with an opportunity to retain status (and earn four Club Lounge Access Awards) after staying 10 qualifying nights within 90 days of registration — a much more achievable requirement than the usual 30 qualifying nights.
Another TPG staffer, Senior Aviation Editor Ben Mutzabaugh, is currently Executive Platinum with American and Discoverist with Hyatt. He was given a fast track opportunity to earn either Explorist or Globalist. By registering before October 1, 2019, he’d enjoy Explorist status for 90 days and then has the following stay thresholds to keep that status or upgrade to Globalist:
- Stay 10 qualifying nights within 90 days of registration to maintain Explorist through February 28, 2021 and earn four Club Lounge Access Awards.
- Stay an additional 10 qualifying nights within 90 days to earn Globalist status through February 28, 2021.
According to AA, “American Airlines may, from time to time, select certain World of Hyatt members with World of Hyatt Explorist elite status or higher who have linked their AAdvantage and World of Hyatt accounts for the opportunity to participate in offers to earn AAdvantage elite status by traveling on eligible American Airlines flights during the designated offer period.”
In other words, simply holding status with one program doesn’t guarantee a match or challenge with the other. Still, it’s worth linking your accounts for the extra points and miles alone — we value Hyatt points at 1.7 cents each and AA miles at 1.4 cents, so at the very least you’d be getting a notable additional return on your paid flights and stays.
If you’re hoping to participate in this new partnership but don’t currently hold elite status in either program, consider adding the World of Hyatt Credit Card to your wallet. In addition to the current welcome bonus, you’d also enjoy automatic Discoverist status, unlocking an additional Hyatt point for every dollar you spend on American flights through this partnership.
See this post for full details on both programs and their benefits.
Featured photo of the Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen by Zach Honig.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees