AA Employee Survey Paints Bleak Picture of Upper Management
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, American Airlines released the results of its survey, “The American Voice,” which was distributed to all of its employees to learn more about the sentiments surrounding their jobs. Now, we have the staggering results on which of the survey questions AA employees responded to most and least favorably.
The results of the survey emphasize a sense of employee distaste for the executives’ actions within the company, while maintaining a feeling of longevity in work and positive relationships with surrounding employees. And while it’s surprising that American would publish the results, especially considering how jarring they were, the results themselves don’t come as a big surprise. As we’ve seen, American has become known for its mediocrity and unfortunate internal debacles lately.
Much of the dissatisfaction of American employees is rooted in the actions of higher-ups. The following three survey questions had the least favorable responses.
1. Leaders at American make the right decisions that take care of our frontline team members.
- Favorable: 26.4 percent
- Neutral: 22.3 percent
- Unfavorable: 51.3 percent
2. Leaders at American make the right decisions that support me.
- Favorable: 27.8 percent
- Neutral: 22.8 percent
- Unfavorable: 49.4 percent
3. Leaders at American listen and seek to understand the frontline team member experience.
- Favorable: 28.0 percent
- Neutral: 22.1 percent
- Unfavorable: 49.9 percent
Each one of the statements have to do with the regard and consideration that AA leaders have for other employees. They all prompted unfavorable responses for around 50% of participants. Even more staggering, the statements only resulted in favorable responses less than 30% of the time.
On the other hand, here’s what AA employees responded to favorably.
1. I see myself working at American Airlines for the foreseeable future.
- Favorable: 79.4 percent
- Neutral: 14.0 percent
- Unfavorable: 6.6 percent
2. I have meaningful relationships at work.
- Favorable: 74.5 percent
- Neutral: 17.2 percent
- Unfavorable: 8.4 percent
3. My manager acts in an honest and ethical manner.
- Favorable: 73.4 percent
- Neutral: 18.2 percent
- Unfavorable: 8.5 percent
While the content of these statements vary, they each involve the day-to-day functions of their jobs. Within employees’ closer realms, they seemingly find more satisfactory conditions in terms of internal relations. And despite the ongoing internal fiasco, almost 80% of employees are able to see themselves with American in the future.
All in all, it seems that American Airlines employees are calling for leaders of the company to take them into consideration more frequently or more thoroughly. Efforts have been made to bridge the divide between ground forces and company leaders, such as AA’s “Tell Me Why” podcast, in which executives explain company changes and decisions. However, there still seems to be significant progress that must be made in order for American to achieve greater employee satisfaction.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees