American Discounts Business Class AAnytime Awards for Europe Summer Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you feel frustrated you can never find saver availability on American Airlines flights, we have some good news. Sadly, it’s not open award availability. Instead, AA is discounting its “AAnytime” business class awards for flights between the US and Europe for travel later this summer.
On AA’s award chart, there are three stated pricing levels for business class awards between the US and Europe. In addition to these three, there’s even more expensive off-the-chart AAnytime awards.
- MileSAAver: 57,500 miles
- AAnytime Level 1: 110,000 miles
- AAnytime Level 2: 135,000 miles
At 57,500 miles each way, AA saver awards are a solid deal. United charges about the same number of miles for award flights (60,000) on its own aircraft but charges 70,000 miles for partner business class awards. Delta ditched its award chart years ago, but its cheapest business class awards to hop the pond now seem to start at 105,000 SkyMiles one-way. But, there are cheaper ways of booking Delta business class awards.
While AA’s saver award pricing is reasonable, if you can’t find AA saver availability (read: most of the time), the next-cheapest award price nearly doubles to 110,000 AAdvantage miles each way. During this sale, AA is splitting the difference between the two levels, with business AAnytime Level 1 awards costing 85,000 miles each way. AA also seems to be discounting its AAnytime Level 2 awards from 135,000 to 120,000 each way and AAnytime Level 3 awards from 180,000 to 155,000 each way.
The promotion is effective for flights from the US to Europe on August 1-28 and from Europe to the US from August 1-September 18.
At current TPG valuations, 85,000 miles is valued around $1,190 — which isn’t too bad for a business class flight to Europe during peak summer. Plus, you’ll actually be able to book on AA aircraft that don’t tack on fuel surcharges. Usually you can find saver award space to Europe on British Airways when searching through AA, but you’ll have to shell out hundreds of dollars extra on top of the miles for those flights.
But, while this mileage sale may sound good on the surface, this sale potentially has a darker side to it. Just like how Economy Web Specials have created de facto dynamic pricing on some domestic economy awards, this “sale” could indicate that AA is playing with award pricing to move toward more of a dynamic award pricing system.
Don’t get me wrong, paying 85,000 miles each way for flights to Europe is better than the previous anytime award price of 110,000+ miles each way. But, if AA can sell enough business class award tickets at 85,000 miles each way, the airline won’t have an incentive to release saver award availability at 57,500 miles each way — meaning even less saver award availability.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees