1st Airbus A380 takes off on flight powered by used cooking oil
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An old Airbus A380 has a green new mission.
The first A380 ever produced took off last week on a flight powered by 100% sustainable aviation fuel, or SAF.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free biweekly Aviation newsletter.
SAF is a type of biofuel that relies heavily on organic materials. The aviation industry is banking heavily on this type of fuel, hoping it can lessen the industry’s reliance on traditional fossil fuels and allow for fewer carbon emissions.
For the A380’s flight, which departed Blagnac Airport (TLS) in Toulouse, France, 27 metric tons of unblended SAF were provided by Total Energies. The SAF provided primarily consisted of used cooking oil and other waste fats, according to Airbus, and was free of aromatics and sulfur. This makes SAF a cleaner-burning fuel, which is why it’s a key part of the aviation industry’s longer-term ambitions to reduce carbon emissions.
For this flight, one of the A380’s four Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines was powered entirely by SAF.
The A380 is Airbus’ latest foray into 100% SAF. Two other Airbus aircraft have undergone similar 100% SAF testing: an A319neo and an A350.
All Airbus aircraft are currently certified to fly with a 50-50 blend of SAF and traditional kerosene fuel. Airbus hopes to certify 100% SAF for its line of aircraft by the end of the decade.
The A380 prototype has a much greener mission ahead of it. It will be modified into Airbus’ ZEROe demonstrator, which will see an additional engine installed that will be powered by hydrogen. The program aims to test zero-emission propulsion.
Across the pond, Boeing has also invested in SAF, purchasing 2 million gallons of the organic fuel last month to power its commercial aircraft operations in Washington state and South Carolina. Initially, this fuel will be a 30-70 blend of SAF, but Boeing hopes to ramp up the share of SAF in the blend to 50% — and ultimately 100%. Like Airbus, Boeing also hopes to certify its fleet for 100% SAF operations by 2030.
Late last year, United Airlines operated a special 737 MAX 8 flight from Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (ORD) to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) with one engine powered by 100% SAF — one of the most ambitious tests of the fuel yet by an individual airline.
Featured photo by A. Doumenjou/Master Films/Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees