A Company You’ve Never Heard of Is Getting 2 A380s with Singapore Suites
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hi-Fly, a Portuguese company that’s in the business of wet-leasing of aircraft, will be the newest operator of the Airbus A380 jumbo jet. The company tweeted earlier today that it’s “taking delivery of its first A380.”
Back in August, Hi-Fly said it would purchase two used A380s to supplement its fleet of A321s, A330s and A340s. Now, Flight Global is reporting that Hi-Fly will take delivery of the aircraft around the “middle of this year.”
What makes the purchase even cooler is that Hi-Fly is actually buying two of Singapore Airlines’ old aircraft, and they won’t be changing the interior or seats. Singapore didn’t renew its lease for five of its decade-old A380s — therefore giving Hi-Fly the opportunity to add to them to its fleet.
The aircraft will keep the same 471-seat configuration that Singapore installed, opting not to switch to a high-density layout to fit 560 passengers as previously reported. That means 60 business-class seats and 12 first-class suites. TPG reviewed Singapore Suites (the old version) and called it one of the best products in the sky.
On the aircraft’s upper deck business class is laid out in a 1-2-1 style and received high marks from TPG‘s Zach Honig.
In addition to the first class suites, the lower deck will feature 399 economy seats in a 3-4-3 configuration.
“This acquisition has been part of our company’s plans for a while,” Hi Fly president Paulo Mirpuri told Flight Global. “It is a very proud moment for Hi Fly.”
Because Hi-Fly is a wet-lease operator, it means that it will loan the aircraft to an airline, although it’s unclear right now what airline that will be. For example, Azores Airlines is operating an Airbus A340 that’s been wet-leased to them by Hi-Fly — and it’s actually an old Emirates aircraft that features the Emirates’ seats and interiors. Norwegian also had to temporarily replace its Boeing 787s with Hi-Fly A330s while the Dreamliners got their engines repaired.
Keep in mind that Hi-Fly is keeping just Singapore’s hard product (i.e. the seats) — but the quality of amenities, food and service will all be at the mercy of whichever airline is actually flying the plane.
Hi-Fly said in August that it expected one A380 to be leased long-term while another would be contracted out on a seasonal basis to meet increased demand.
Featured image by Hi Fly / Twitter.
Singapore A380 Suite Tour
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees