Check out the lengths this 14th-century Italian castle went to for some of its guests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the top of Vomero Hill in Naples, Italy sits Castel Sant’Elmo, a medieval fortress dating back to the 14th century that offers visitors majestic views of Mount Vesuvius and the Tyrrhenian Sea. It’s one of three castles in Naples, and it is steeped in history.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The view from here is so well known, it’s the main reason people making the steep climb up the hill to visit Sant’Elmo. Most say it offers the best views of Naples. It’s a breathtaking sight, and thanks to the thoughtful creativity of a local artist, it is also one that visually impaired people can take in as well.
Attached to the northernmost wall of the castle near the west corner that overlooks the land, there is a 92-foot-long railing etched with Braille. It describes the panoramic view for those who cannot see, using the Braille writing system. The railing was created by artist Paolo Puddo in 2017 as part of the art installation, “Follow the Shape,” but it went viral recently after the Twitter user @thegallowboob visited the castle and posted about the railing.
Leisure Italy described it as “a project of inclusion to open a window on the world and its wonders.” Along with a description of the surrounding landscapes, the railing also features quotes from authors and poets, in both Italian and English.
Related: 5 reasons to visit Naples, Italy
It’s such an ingenious idea, it’s amazing more places that offer stunning vistas like this haven’t done something along the same lines. Inclusive artistry gives people with visual impairments the chance to enjoy some of the wonders of travel so many of us take for granted.
Hopefully, more people read about the railing at Castel Sant’Elmo and its message and are inspired to take steps to make travel more accessible for everyone.
Featured image by AGF for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees