Earn 5X Points on Select Cruise Bookings With Amex Platinum
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At TPG, we’re big #avgeeks but many of us also love cruises. From adult-only cruises, to family-friendly options such as the Disney Cruise Line, these days there’s a cruise for almost every type of traveler.
There’s actually lots of crossover from the strategies you use to maximize hotel and airline bookings to how you can maximize cruise bookings. For example, American Express actually has a Cruise Privileges Program that provides perks and amenities for those booking cruises with The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (kind of like Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts does for hotel bookings.)
The Amex cruise booking program is always worth consideration when booking eligible cruises, but today (Aug. 12) there is a new limited-time cruise offer for those with a Platinum card through Amex Travel.
Here’s what you need to know.
Starting today, Amex Platinum cardholders will receive 5x Membership Rewards points on some Cruise Privileges Program bookings through AmexTravel.com. The offer is valid on select cruise bookings on Cunard, Holland America, Princess Cruises and Seabourn. Reservations must be made by Sept. 30 and the cruise must depart by March 31, 2020.
As TPG‘s Katie Genter noted earlier this year, via the Cruise Privileges Program, you can also get a shipboard credit, based on your type of stateroom (with some exceptions):
- $100 shipboard credit for inside and outside staterooms
- $200 shipboard credit for balcony, verandah and mini-suite staterooms
- $300 shipboard credit for suites on Celebrity Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Royal Caribbean International
While you can already receive bonus points on travel (such as cruises) thanks to cards such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x points), Citi Premier Card (3x points) and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x points), earning 5x points is an exciting change that matches the rates you can earn on some airfare and Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings made via the Amex site.
Even though this cruise promotion thus far seems to be temporary — and only on select bookings — it is an exciting opportunity to maximize the points you earn while traveling by sea.
Featured image by Royal Caribbean International
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.