Earn 5X Points on Select Cruise Bookings With Amex Platinum
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
At TPG, we’re big #avgeeks but many of us also love cruises. From adult-only cruises, to family-friendly options such as the Disney Cruise Line, these days there’s a cruise for almost every type of traveler.
There’s actually lots of crossover from the strategies you use to maximize hotel and airline bookings to how you can maximize cruise bookings. For example, American Express actually has a Cruise Privileges Program that provides perks and amenities for those booking cruises with The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (kind of like Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts does for hotel bookings.)
The Amex cruise booking program is always worth consideration when booking eligible cruises, but today (Aug. 12) there is a new limited-time cruise offer for those with a Platinum card through Amex Travel.
Here’s what you need to know.
Starting today, Amex Platinum cardholders will receive 5x Membership Rewards points on some Cruise Privileges Program bookings through AmexTravel.com. The offer is valid on select cruise bookings on Cunard, Holland America, Princess Cruises and Seabourn. Reservations must be made by Sept. 30 and the cruise must depart by March 31, 2020.
As TPG‘s Katie Genter noted earlier this year, via the Cruise Privileges Program, you can also get a shipboard credit, based on your type of stateroom (with some exceptions):
- $100 shipboard credit for inside and outside staterooms
- $200 shipboard credit for balcony, verandah and mini-suite staterooms
- $300 shipboard credit for suites on Celebrity Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Royal Caribbean International
While you can already receive bonus points on travel (such as cruises) thanks to cards such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x points), Citi Premier® Card (3x points) and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x points), earning 5x points is an exciting change that matches the rates you can earn on some airfare and Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings made via the Amex site.
Even though this cruise promotion thus far seems to be temporary — and only on select bookings — it is an exciting opportunity to maximize the points you earn while traveling by sea.
Featured image by Royal Caribbean International
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees