Earn 500 Bonus Business Extra Points for Completing a Quick Survey
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I firmly believe that American Airlines’ Business Extra program is the most under-appreciated element of airline loyalty in the US. The program is incredibly simple to use, and the eligibility requirements are pretty generous so it’s easy to sign up.
The program is entirely separate from AAdvantage, so you can earn Business Extra points in addition to regular AA miles and elite-qualifying miles. In addition to promo offers like this one discussed here, you’ll earn 1 point per $5 spent on eligible flights operated by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia, and for flights on Finnair, JAL and Qantas when your ticket is issued by American Airlines.
Earn 500 Bonus Points for Taking a Survey
Buried in this month’s Business Extra account summary email is an offer that everyone should take advantage of. Through Aug. 31, 2018, you can earn 500 points for completing a quick (five-question) survey and attaching your Business Extra account number (separate from your AAdvantage number) at the end.
Business Extra routinely offers promotions like this where you can earn up to 500 miles, for registering a new account, qualifying flight activity or, in this case, taking a survey. Note that to get to the survey, you have to follow a link supplied within your account summary. I never read my monthly account statements and I’m very grateful that a friend pointed out this offer, as I’m sure many of us delete these emails without reading them.
Redeeming Business Extra Points
There are many different ways to redeem Business Extra points, ranging from elite status to free flights, upgrade certificates and Admirals Club day passes or memberships. One of the best redemption options is a “BXP1,” a one-segment domestic upgrade certificate. This costs 650 Business Extra points, meaning in addition to this promotion you’d have to spend $750 on eligible airfare.
While only certain fare classes are eligible to be upgraded, you can use this certificate on AA’s most premium domestic routes, like New York-JFK to Los Angeles (LAX). You can upgrade an economy ticket to business class, or a business-class ticket to first class on board AA’s A321T.
While a bit pricier, another great option is redeeming 3,100 points for a one-segment international upgrade. Make sure you check the eligible fare classes first, as “full fare upgrade” and “discounted fare upgrade” certificates cost different amounts.
Sure, 3,100 points is a lot to earn organically, as it requires over $15,000 in airfare spending. But if you’re a frequent business traveler or an Executive Platinum member with this kind of spending, the Business Extra program could give you the equivalent of one extra Systemwide Upgrade every year.
This is a great promotion in terms of return on time, and another reason to pay attention to the Business Extra program if you don’t already. By stacking a few of these 500-point promotions together every year, it’s easy to walk away with high-value upgrades, lounge access or even AAdvantage Gold status.
Editor’s note: We’ve added a line to make it clearer that we can’t provide a link to the survey and that you can only access it via an offer in an email from AA with your account summary.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.