3 easy steps to a $400 checking account sign-up bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here at The Points Guy, we typically focus our attention on helping you earn the best credit card sign up bonuses. But every so often, a bank offers a checking or savings account promotion we just can’t pass up.
Through Tuesday, Jan. 26, Capital One is offering new customers a $400 bonus for opening a 360 online checking account. To qualify for the promotion, customers must use promo code BONUS400 or use the direct offer link when signing up, then make two automated clearing house (ACH) direct deposits of $1,000 apiece into the new checking account within the first 60 days of opening.
The additional fine print is simple and straightforward:
- Open a 360 Checking account before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Jan. 26, 2021. When you open your account, enter your promotional code — BONUS400.
- Receive at least two direct deposits totaling $1,000 or more to your 360 Checking account within 60 days of account opening. A qualifying direct deposit is an Automated Clearing House (ACH) credit, which may include payroll, pension or government payments (such as Social Security) by your employer or an outside institution.
- This account is subject to approval. This offer cannot be combined with any other 360 Checking account opening offers. Only one promotional code is accepted. Bonus is only valid for one new 360 Checking account.
Customers who have or had an open 360 Checking account as a primary or secondary account holder with Capital One on or after Jan. 1, 2018, are ineligible for the bonus. Customers whose accounts are in default, closed or suspended, or otherwise not in good standing will also not receive the bonus.
A Capital One representative confirmed to TPG that customers can transfer money from an external account to qualify for the promotion, but each $1,000 deposit must come in the form of an ACH transaction in order to qualify.
Qualifying customers who sign up in January 2021 will receive their bonuses by May 31, 2021.
Capital One has become a growing contender in recent years amongst the major players in the points and miles space. First, the issuer announced travel transfer partners for its Venture and Spark cards in late 2018 — a roster of participating hotels and airlines that has only grown since its inception.
- The best Capital One credit cards of 2021
- How to use your Capital One miles for maximum value
- How (and why) you should be earning lots of Capital One miles
- Capital One vs. Chase: Which bank has better credit card offers?
- Capital One extends limited-time perks on select cards through April 2021
Then in late 2019, Capital One offered a $200 sign-up bonus for opening a high-yield savings account (HYSA) and maintaining an account balance of $10,000 for 60 days. Capital One’s HYSA still offers one of the higher interest earning rates on the market, at 0.40% APY as of the time of this post; however, this current $400 promotion for a new checking account blows the $200 deal out of the water.
The information for this offer has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.