How Capital One’s latest bonus will change my financial strategy for 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Extra cash burning a hole in your pocket? Capital One will hold it for you — and throw in some extra dough to boot.
A few weeks ago, I woke up to an email in my inbox informing me that I could earn up to $1,000 for maintaining a qualifying balance in a high-yield savings account. That’s even before factoring in the interest I’ll earn at 1.8% APY on any balance amount.
The offer doesn’t appear to be targeted, based on TPG’s tests, so you can get in on the savings too. But you’ll have to act quickly: This promotional sign-up bonus ends Dec. 31, 2019.
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Open a 360 Performance Savings account before Jan. 1, 2020, using the promotion code SAVE1000.
- Deposit at least $10,000 into the account within 10 days of opening the account (initial funding period), and maintain a daily balance of $10,000 or more for the following 90 days.
- You’ll earn a $200 bonus for maintaining a daily balance between $10,000 up to $149,999.99 through the first 90 days following the initial funding period. You will not receive a bonus if your daily balance decreases below the $10,000 threshold at any point during the first 90 days following the initial funding period.
- You’ll earn a $1,000 bonus for maintaining a daily balance of $150,000 or more through the first 90 days following the initial funding period. You will receive a $200 bonus if your daily balance dips between $10,000 and $149,999.99 at any point during the first 90 days following the initial funding period.
Capital One’s high-yield savings account APY isn’t the absolute highest on the market, but it’s up there; my Barclays high-yield savings account offers the same 1.8% APY, while online banks like Ally typically offer slightly higher rates that may break the 2% mark, depending on factors including account balance.
I’m a relatively new Capital One cardholder, mostly because I’ve always associated the brand with Samuel L. Jackson, Jennifer Garner, Alec Baldwin and not much else. Over the last two years, that impression has shifted quite a bit as the company has added increasingly competitive perks, benefits and discounts for its customers.
Then came another big game changer: Capital One announced that Rewards Miles could now be transferred to 15 airline partners. This move singlehandedly catapulted TPG’s value of Capital One Reward Miles from 1 cent to 1.4 cents apiece in our monthly valuations guide, since airline miles can be redeemed at outsize value.
Now with this sign-up offer coupled with the 1.8% APY on its high-yield savings account, Capital One may well win more of my business in 2020 — not just on the credit card side, but on the cash side as well. At the very least, Capital One is now holding $10,000 of my life savings in its high-yield savings account until March 6, 2020 — at which point I’ll have $10,200 in the bank.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.