Earn 2,000 bonus points on your biggest household expenses right now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
By now, most of you are probably looking for ways to earn more miles while stuck at home. If you’ve already planned how you’ll max out the 5x category bonus on the Chase Freedom® card (No longer open to new applicants) this quarter, there may be another option for you. The Chase Freedom Unlimited is offering up to 2,000 bonus points on $250 in combined purchases across some of the most common spending categories:
- Phone service
The information for the Chase Freedom has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
How it works
The catch with this offer is that you must be targeted (check your email) and register for this offer before using your card. You have until Sept. 30, 2020, to activate and take advantage of this bonus. Chances are most of you can easily spend $250 across these five categories over the next five months. So if you were targeted, you should go ahead and set the Freedom Unlimited as your default payment method for these monthly bills.
What’s interesting is that the email specifically promotes this offer as “2,000 rewards points.” That’s because the Chase Freedom Unlimited is actually a cash-back card. If you have another Ultimate Rewards-earning credit card, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve®, then you can convert your cash-back rewards to Ultimate Rewards points. So my guess is that this offer may be targeted toward Chase Freedom Unlimited cardholders who also have an Ultimate Rewards-earning credit card, though it could just be targeted wording for this specific cardholder group.
Related Reading: TPG readers’ best tips for maximizing points and miles
Why this is a great offer
The Chase Freedom Unlimited normally earns 1.5% cash back (or 1.5 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar spent). That already makes it my go-to card for non-bonus spending. At 2,000 points for $250 spent, you’re earning a whopping 8 points per dollar spent. Since TPG values Ultimate Rewards points at 2 cents each, that becomes a 16 cent return on every dollar. That’s an incredible return on non-bonus category spending, so if you’ve been targeted for this offer, you should activate it and take advantage.
What you can do with 2,000 Ultimate Rewards points
While 2,000 Ultimate Rewards points are worth around $40, the real value comes down to how you end redeem your points. Some of you have been sharing that you’ve redeemed points for statement credits at a rate of 1 cent per point. That’s perfectly understandable, considering the financial strain the novel coronavirus crisis has created.
If you transfer these points to your Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you can redeem them for $30 worth of travel through the Ultimate Rewards travel portal. That’s not exactly an option right now, but it can certainly come in handy down the road.
Hands down, the best way to get maximum value out of these points is by transferring them to airline and hotel partners once things go back to normal. And while 2,000 points may not sound like a lot, they can go a long way. I’ve personally booked round-trip Southwest Airlines awards that cost ~$90 for around 2,100 points. That’s a value of well over 4 cents per point.
Related Reading: Best credit cards for streaming services
While 2,000 bonus points aren’t earth-shattering, this is a nice way for Chase Freedom cardholders to earn even more points on spending on household bills that don’t typically earn bonus points beyond the standard rate. Between the category bonuses offered by the Chase Freedom card this quarter and now this 2,000-point bonus from the Unlimited, you’ve got plenty of opportunities to maximize essential spending while in self-isolation.
Featured image by Hero Images/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees