Why the Citi Rewards+ is great for college students
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG Advertising Partner.
The Citi Rewards+® Card launched in January 2019 with some notable features. While perhaps not as luxurious as other cards, these features make it a great option for college students looking for their first credit card.
We take a look at why the Citi Rewards+ Card may be the right card for you.
You don’t have to have a large budget to maximize rewards
The Citi Rewards+ earns 2x ThankYou points at supermarkets and gas stations on up to $6,000 in combined purchases each year (1x after). While the $6,000 annual cap might not work for those with high monthly budgets or large families, a typical college student isn’t going to spend more than $500 on those bonus categories each month.
On top of its bonus categories, the card offers a unique round-up feature. On every purchase, your rewards will automatically round up to the nearest 10 points. That means your $2 library vending machine raid during a study break will actually earn 10 points. This feature also works on 2x bonus category purchases. That $31 supermarket run to restock on ramen noodles and bagel bites will earn 40 points. This feature makes it easy to maximize rewards on smaller purchases, so you don’t have to spend a ton to earn points.
It doesn’t cost you anything in annual fees
All of those benefits I just walked through? You’ll get those without having to pay an annual fee. In college, you may not have the budget for annual fees, even if you’re theoretically earning enough to offset the cost by the end of the year. The Citi Rewards+ Card is a no-annual-fee card you can keep in your wallet throughout and beyond undergrad.
If you end up keeping the Citi Rewards+ in your wallet past your college days, you can always pair it with other Citi ThankYou cards to gain full access to the Citi ThankYou program, including Citi’s transfer partners.
Approval for the card is easier
Students may not have multiple years of established credit or a 750+ credit score — which is why many have to settle for subpar cards to build credit before they can start earning rewards. The Citi Rewards+ Card‘s approval criteria is catered to those with minimal credit history, so you could still be approved even if you’re just getting started.
If you’re a student who happens to have a few years of credit history and a solid credit score, you may be better off choosing a card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card. If you are a true beginner just starting, this is a solid option.
The Citi Rewards+ Card is an option for students just starting to dip their toes in the water with travel rewards. You can start to build up your credit in college without sacrificing your ability to earn solid rewards.
Of course, if you have an established credit history, there are more valuable credit cards to consider, even if you’re still a beginner.
Apply here for the Citi Rewards+ Card with a 15,000 ThankYou Point sign-up bonus after spending $1,000 in purchases in the first three months of account opening.
For rates and fees on the Citi Rewards+ Card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees