7 Reasons to Get the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® offers a number of benefits that make flying American Airlines more pleasant, but it’s also a great pick for anyone looking to diversify their loyalty portfolio. Here are the top seven reasons why you may want to pick it up. The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
1. Sizable Sign-Up Bonus
The card is offering an bonus of 50,000 bonus miles after spending $2,500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, these 50,000 miles are worth about $700. From round-trip first-class flights to Alaska, to one-way business-class flights to Europe or Asia, there are plenty of ways to make excellent use of those miles — especially when redeeming for partner awards in and out of the Oneworld alliance.
2. Free Checked Bags
The Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select card waives the first checked bag fee on domestic American Airlines operated itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling on the same reservation. While this benefit isn’t particularly unique for an airline credit card, it can be incredibly valuable for those who don’t hold American elite status.
Since American now charges $30 for the first checked bag on domestic itineraries, it only takes four avoided first checked bag fees each year to offset the card’s $99 annual fee. Best of all, the benefit becomes linked to your AAdvantage account, so you can still book and pay for your tickets any way you’d like.
3. Preferred Boarding
As a card holder, you and up to four customers traveling on the same reservation will receive Preferred Boarding for your flights, which means you’ll board in Group 5. This perk is especially beneficial when flying basic economy on American, since it means you’ll have early access to overhead bin space and get to keep your usual carry-on allowance.
4. Access to Reduced Mileage Awards
One of the lesser-known, yet valuable perks of the card is access to reduced mileage awards. With reduced mileage awards, you can save up to 7,500 miles per round-trip saver award (or up to 3,750 off a one-way saver award) to or from any of the airports listed in the current quarter’s promotion. TPG does an in-depth analysis of the eligible award routes when they’re released each quarter, but just to give you an idea, the current list has 139 airports available for at least one month from April through July, and 43 airports for all four months. You do have to call to book though.
5. Ability to Earn a $125 Flight Discount
The refresh of the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select card added a $125 American Airlines flight discount after you make $20,000 in purchases in a cardmember year and renew your card. The certificate is redeemable for flights marketed by American and must be used on itineraries that originate in the US, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands.
6. 25% Discount on Inflight Purchases
If you frequently fly American domestically and purchase food or drinks on board, this benefit could save you some serious cash. You’ll get 25% savings — applied via a statement credit — each time you use your Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select card to purchase inflight food and beverages. Savings only apply on domestic flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by American or any of American’s regional airlines.
7. Bonus Miles at Restaurants and Gas Stations
In addition to 2x miles on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 mile per dollar for all other everyday spend, the card now offers 2 miles per dollar spent at restaurants and 2 miles per dollar spent at gas stations. Since TPG currently values American AAdvantage miles at 1.4 cents, this means you’ll get a 2.8% return on eligible American Airlines purchases, purchases at gas stations and spending at restaurants based on TPG valuations. While these returns aren’t industry-leading — and you can do better in each category with other cards — having bonus categories beyond extra points on AA purchases can come in handy when working to rack up AAdvantage miles.
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® is the way to go for occasional AA flyers and anyone looking to score valuable premium-cabin redemptions on American’s partners such as Cathay Pacific, Etihad and Japan Airlines. Besides the perks mentioned here, the card comes with a slew of lesser-known benefits — including extended warranty and no foreign-transaction fees — that apply when you use your card for purchases.
For more information on the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select card, check out the following stories:
- Card Review: Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- 5 Lesser-Known Benefits of the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Mastercard
- Who Should (and Who Shouldn’t) Get The Citi AAdvantage Card?
- Choosing the Best Card for American Airlines Flyers
Ready to apply? Here’s the official application link: Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Featured image by @TonyTheTigersSon via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.