How to use your $60 Sapphire Reserve DoorDash credit in 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
About a year ago, the Chase Sapphire Reserve® added DoorDash benefits to its line-up, which turned out to be more fortuitous than anyone could have imagined given what would unfold in 2020. These benefits include complimentary DashPass membership (normally $9.99 per month) and up to $60 in DoorDash credit both in 2020 — and now again for 2021.
If you’ve been a little busy and forgot about this perk, now is a good time to brush-up on it as those with a Sapphire Reserve now have a fresh set of $60 credits awaiting them for 2021.
For those not familiar, DoorDash is a food delivery service, much like UberEats or GrubHub. You place an order from a restaurant in your area via the DoorDash app. A DoorDash driver then picks up the meal from the restaurant and can leave the order on your front porch for a “contactless” delivery. Alternatively, you could use the app to place an order that you go and pick-up, if you prefer.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While it will vary from area to area, DoorDash has a wide variety of restaurant options in some areas. Thankfully, using the Sapphire Reserve’s DoorDash $60 credit is extremely simple and doesn’t require any special or complicated actions on your part, but here are the basics.
Related: Best credit cards for food delivery
How to use the Sapphire Reserve DoorDash credit
To use this year’s $60 in DoorDash credit, valid until Dec. 31, 2021, simply use your Sapphire Reserve card to pay for your DoorDash order. That’s it. You should then see offsetting statement credits up to the $60 max within a few days.
If you lose count of what you’ve spent, you can check your spending toward the 2021 allotment of the card’s $60 DoorDash credit by heading to the online card benefits section of the Chase website and checking the spending total as shown below. Once you go over that $60 credit, you’ll have to pay for your orders like normal, but at least you’ll earn 3x points per dollar on the charges as dining expenses.
If you’re using DoorDash for the first time, you can also likely stack a new customer referral credit to your savings. I was referred by a current customer for an offer that provides a new customer credit of up to $30, though the exact amount varies at times.
How to use the complimentary Chase DashPass membership
While you don’t have to take any advance action to just use the Sapphire Reserve’s DoorDash credits, the same is not true for the card’s complimentary DashPass membership.
You don’t have to use this perk to use up your credits but if you plan to use the credits, you may want to activate the membership before placing an order as it may save you a few bucks. DashPass provides you lower service fees and free delivery on all DoorDash orders of more than $12.
According to DoorDash, DashPass members save an average of between $4 and $5 per order by having a membership. In my area, not all restaurants are eligible for free DashPass delivery, but many are options. The noneligible restaurants typically have a $3.99 to $5.99 delivery fee.
You can activate the DashPass membership offer by heading here or you can download the DoorDash app and enter your Chase card information there. Even if you don’t have a Sapphire Reserve, other Chase cards, such as a Chase Sapphire Preferred Card also convey some level of DashPass membership. A DashPass membership now unlocks free delivery via Caviar, too.
Related: Best Chase credit cards
It’s fair to say that most of us didn’t use our premium travel rewards credit cards the way we initially intended in 2020. Luckily, many premium cards have pivoted to provide benefits in new ways, including offering built-in credits we can use from the safety of our home. Now that we’ve reached 2021, we hope some of the traditional travel benefits will become more relevant in the coming months, but until then, enjoy that fresh $60 set of DoorDash credits for 2021.
Featured image courtesy of Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees