How to Get Best Western Gold Rewards Status for Just $16
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hotel elite status can provide valuable benefits, ranging from upgrades to better earning on paid stays. The traditional way of earning elite status is through stays, but oftentimes hotels offer status matches from other programs or provide elite status to credit card holders.
Best Western does offer status matches from other programs as well as two credit cards that offer Best Western Rewards status. In particular, the no-annual-fee Best Western Rewards Mastercard offers Gold Rewards status and the $59 annual fee (waived the first year) Best Western Rewards Premium Mastercard offers Platinum Rewards status.
But, there are also a few ways to get Best Western Rewards status if you don’t have elite status with any other hotel programs and you don’t want to sign-up for a Best Western co-branded credit card. Members of the military and armed forces, as well as AAA and AARP members, get complimentary Gold Rewards status. AARP will usually be the cheapest and easiest, since an AARP membership costs $16 a year, is open to anyone and can also get you discounts on British Airways flights and on Hilton hotel stays.
To get your Gold status once you’re an AARP member, give Best Western a call at 1-800-618-2277. You’ll need to provide your name, address, email address, Best Western Rewards number and AARP number. When I called, an agent picked up immediately and the entire call took less than three minutes. The agent confirmed that I won’t need to call annually in order to keep the status, since my AARP membership is now registered in my account. Presumably, the process would be similar for military and AAA members.
Gold status in the Best Western Rewards program provides a decent number of benefits over the introductory Blue status. Besides increased earnings on paid stays, higher tiers of elite status don’t provide incremental benefits over the Gold level.
Sure, most Best Western properties aren’t inspirational, but there are some nicer properties internationally and in the Premier Collection. In addition, over 1,600 Best Western properties in the US, Canada and Caribbean are pet friendly. The room upgrades and arrival gifts or points provided by Best Western Gold status can making having the status worthwhile — especially if you’re already an AAA or AARP member and have a Best Western stay or two in your future.
Featured photo of Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort courtesy of Best Western.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.