6 Easy Exercises and Stretches You Can Do Even in Economy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flying has never been healthier, easier or more affordable — but for many travelers, it’s still a literal pain. In addition to the discomfort that comes from staying folded in a cramped seat on long-haul flights, flying has also been linked to conditions such as deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolisms, particularly in travelers with pre-existing conditions.
Experts agree that one of the best ways to stay safe (and comfortable) is to keep the blood flowing.
The Points Guy spoke with Daniel Giordano, co-founder of Bespoke Treatments Physical Therapy in New York City, about movements and stretches travelers can easily perform on an airplane to promote blood circulation, and to alleviate lower back and neck pain.
“These exercises [and stretches] are designed with that in mind,” Giordano said. “They’re really easy and help with mobility in the spine, breathing and opening up the muscles.”
Best of all? You can even do most of them while seated in economy.
Take a stroll around the cabin
You don’t have to jog in place or do lunges when the captain turns off the seatbelt sign. Simply get up and walk up and down the aisles to help improve circulation.
Pump your legs
To boost blood flow and improve circulation, “pump your feet” while you sit. In addition to preventing deep vein thrombosis, pumping your feet can reduce swelling in the lower extremities. (Giordano even recommends that his clients travel with a device, such as a Firefly knee strap, that can gently stimulate the peroneal nerve to promote circulation.)
Do a few seated stretches
Upper Trapezius and Levator Scapulae Stretches
“[There are] two neck stretches that people do, and they’re pretty easy,” Giordano said. For the upper trap stretch, simply sit up tall and “pull your ear toward your shoulder while the other arm is dropped at your side.”
Very similar to the upper trapezius stretch, the levator scapulae stretch (pictured below) features one key alteration. Instead of pulling your ear to your shoulder, “pull your nose to your armpit,” Giordano said. “That stretches all aspects of your neck.”
Seated Figure Four
Start by placing your right ankle on your left knee at a right angle, then bend forward.
“[This] will help stretch the glute from the end of your hips,” Giordano said.
Repeat on the other side, placing your left ankle on your right knee. It’s usually recommended that you keep your foot flexed. This exercise, admittedly, will be easier if you’re friendly with your seat neighbor — or seated in business class.
Seated Cat Cow
To help with mobility in the spine, “[put] your hands on your knees, and as you inhale bring your chest forward and look up,” Giordano said. “As you exhale, round your spine.” If you practice yoga, you’ll immediately recognize the flow of the move.
Illustrations by MCKIBBILLO
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees