The hottest Disney film of the year is going straight to Disney+ on Friday — Here’s how to watch it for less
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Since it was released late last year, Disney+ has become a much-loved fixture in my house and even when we travel. (And that was before March — imagine how much Disney+ we’ve watched during the pandemic.)
Until now, the shows and movies on Disney+ (everything from “Star Wars” to “Mickey Mouse Club House” episodes, “Frozen 2” and more) have all been included with your monthly or yearly membership. But now, things are changing.
The movie that would have been Disney’s major in-theater summer blockbuster release, the live-action version of “Mulan,” is now going straight to Disney+ for purchase on Friday, Sept. 4. But this time, seeing the show on Disney+ when it’s released will cost extra, as it’s part of the new Premier Access service, available for $29.95.
That’s a lot to of cash to watch a movie at home, though it’s undoubtedly less than if your entire family had gone to see it in the theater. Still, it’s not cheap — so here’s how you can save.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
What makes Disney+ great for travelers who might find themselves on a plane without good (or any) Wi-Fi for hours is that once you download the Disney+ app on your device, you can download as many shows and movies from Disney+ as your device can handle. This means your family can watch all the favorites on the go without having to be connected to Wi-Fi.
Related: The best credit cards for families
You can download shows on up to 10 devices and stream up to four at a time. This means during your next flight or road trip, you can load all your kids’ devices with shows to watch. There’s also an option for kid profiles that limits your child to shows rated TV-7FV and G.
How to save on Disney+
While there’s no longer a free seven-day trial, there are a few ways to save on Disney+ — and “Mulan.” The base price for Disney+ is either $6.99 per month or $69.99 per year. You can also bundle it with Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99 per month.
If you have a Verizon Unlimited plan, however, you can get six free months of Disney+.
Additionally, if you have The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll get up to $20 per month in streaming credit that you can use toward Disney+ until December 2020. If you haven’t used this month’s credit, and use that card to pay for the movie, it should drop your out-of-pocket cost of “Mulan” from $29.95 to under $10.
What credit card to use for Disney+
This year, lots of rewards credit cards have started offering bonus points or extra cash back on streaming services.
Some of the best cards for streaming services include:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: Get 10x on select streaming services (including Disney+) up to $1,500 from July 1 to Sept. 30.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: Get 5x on select streaming services (including Disney+) up to $1,500 from July 1 to Sept. 30.
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express: Get 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming services
- Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card: Get 4% cash back on select streaming services through Sept. 30.
- U.S. Bank Cash+™Visa Signature® Card: Get 5% cash back (on up to $2,000 per quarter) if you select streaming as one of your two 5% bonus categories.
The information for the Capital One Savor and U.S. Bank Cash Visa card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Nothing will make a long flight or car ride with a little kid easy, but having Disney shows available for download or streaming for as little as $7 per month (or less, if you use a streaming credit) is an investment I haven’t regretted one bit.
If you are planning to watch “Mulan” when it comes out on Disney+ starting Sept. 4, that will cost you extra beyond the monthly membership, but you can use your streaming credits toward the purchase to see it for less — or earn up to 10x bonus points on the Disney+ charge.
If that doesn’t sound good, you can also just sit tight and watch if for no additional charge on Disney+ beginning Dec. 4.
(Featured photo by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees