Claim your good grades reward from Discover in less than a minute
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This page includes information about Discover products that are not currently available on The Points Guy and may be out of date.
The Discover it Student Cash Back and the Discover it Student chrome cards are popular among college students for a reason — they’re notoriously easy to be approved for and offer some solid benefits. In addition to the usual perks that come with the cards, such as no foreign transaction fees, students get a $20 statement credit each school year (September to August) they earn a 3.0 GPA or higher for up to the next five years.
Depending on the school’s grading system, that equates to a “B” average or 85% if it’s based on a 0-100% scale. The good grades reward is available for the first five years an account is open, and luckily, it’s quick and easy for cardholders to request the statement credit.
You can submit your grades anytime from May through August. First, you’ll need to log in to your Discover account, as the offer is not available over the phone. Once you’ve done that, scroll down to the “Your Shortcuts” section on the bottom left of the page and click on where it says “Good Grades Reward.”
You’ll then be asked for your school’s grading scale and a range of where your grades falls for any term within the current school year.
As long as the grades you provide meet the minimum, you’ll receive an instant approval and the statement credit will appear in your cash-back balance within within two billing periods. Discover primarily relies on the honor system for this program, but it may at its discretion request additional documentation to verify your grades.
The entire process takes less than one minute, so eligible students have no reason to pass up on this free money. Heck, your $20 credit could be enough to book a flight during one of JetBlue’s or Frontier Airlines’ frequent flash sales. As long as you qualify and remember to request the statement credit each year, you’ll be getting a total of $100 from this benefit across the five years.
Between the good grades reward, 5% cash back in rotating categories, up to $1,500 spent on purchases each quarter you enroll and no annual fee, the Discover it Student Cash Back in particular is an excellent pick for a college student’s first credit card.
Featured photo by Klaus Vedfelt via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees