The correct way to wear a neck pillow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This article has been updated with additional information. It originally appeared in June 2019.
I’ll never forget my first neck pillow. After a long-haul flight proved to be a pain in the neck, I was willing to throw money at any possible solution in the airport gift shop.
Pillow purchased, I settled into my return flight with a sense of hope, and after dinner and a movie I drifted off to sleep with my neck pillow in place. But rather than slumber peacefully as the photo on the label suggested, I was jerked awake when my chin fell forward.
After deciding U-shaped travel pillows were a waste of space in my carry-on, I gave the pillow away. Then, more than 10 years later, I discovered it wasn’t the pillow, it was me. I’d been using it the wrong way around.
While almost everyone you see on a plane wears the pillow around the back of their neck with the gap at the front, it works a whole lot better if you flip it and reverse it — as demonstrated in this viral Tik Tok video. With the gap at the back, your head is supported, eliminating the strain on your neck if it falls from side to side, chin securely in place.
I’ll admit to feeling like a fool when I decided to give a second travel pillow a chance and wear it ‘backward’. I could see other neck pillow users looking at me in confusion, but I simply smiled, popped in my earplugs, pulled on my eye mask and settled down to sleep.
And sleep I did. The few times I woke through the night flight due to turbulence I felt a sense of comfort from the pillow’s position and fell back to sleep easily in a U-shaped hug. By the time we landed, I was such a convert I wanted to tell everyone carrying a travel pillow off the plane that they had to try it the other way around.
Granted, there are some times when you don’t want to wear it under your chin. The reverse position doesn’t work well at mealtimes or when you’re having something to drink. And, until I find one with an Elizabethan ruff design that takes the whole look to a so-silly-it-works level, I’ll continue using my neck pillow as lumbar support while watching movies.
Then, when it’s time for shut-eye I’ll look like the person who has the wrong end of the stick but is sleeping soundly. Until word gets out and more of us use the humble U-shaped pillow in the way it can do its best work. I’ve yet to see anyone else on a plane wearing it that way, but look forward to the day we can nod at each other.
One final thing: When it comes to the right way to wear them around your neck when you’re walking around the airport, let’s agree that forwards, backward and sideways are all off the table. Loop them around the handles of your bag and avoid turning heads for the wrong reason. Until my ruff design comes out, that is. Then it will look awesome.
Featured photo by Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees