You and 14 friends can all access the airport lounge with this card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card shook up the premium rewards credit card market when it launched last week, giving legacy cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express and the Chase Sapphire Reserve a run for their money.
While the Venture X’s $395 annual fee is still something to consider, it’s much lower than what Capital One’s rivals are charging. Not only are the card’s perks competitive, but many even extend to authorized users — and cardholders can add up to four authorized users for free.
Today, let’s go over the full suite of benefits that additional users of the Venture X card will enjoy.
Venture X overview
Before we begin, we’ll review the details of the new Venture X card:
- Sign-up bonus: Earn 75,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
- Rewards rate: Earn 10x on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel, 5x on flights booked through Capital One Travel and 2x on all other eligible purchases.
- Annual travel credit: Receive up to $300 on your statement when you book travel with your Venture X through the Capital One Travel portal.
- Anniversary bonus: Earn 10,000 bonus miles every account anniversary.
- Capital One Lounge access: Get unlimited access to Capital One Lounges for you and two guests. Each guest thereafter will cost $45.
- Priority Pass membership: Access more than 1,300 Priority Pass lounges worldwide and bring up to two guests per visit.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck reimbursement: Receive up to a $100 statement credit every four years for either trusted traveler program.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- $395 annual fee.
Which Venture X benefits apply to additional cardholders?
Another key benefit of the Venture X is the ability to add up to four authorized users for no additional fee. That’s huge, considering the Amex Platinum charges $175 for three authorized users (see rates and fees), and the Chase Sapphire Reserve charges $75 per authorized user — making the Venture X a much more affordable option for couples or families. Here are the benefits that your additional cardholders will enjoy:
Airport lounge access
As we look forward to the new year, we’re most excited about Capital One’s network of lounges opening. The issuer’s flagship lounge at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) opened in October, and the amenities are outstanding — from Peloton bikes to premium, locally sourced eats. Two more lounges at Denver (DEN) and Washington Dulles (IAD) will open in 2022.
What makes the Venture X’s lounge access even more compelling is that authorized users will enjoy privileges at Capital One and Priority Pass lounges in their own right, and they can even bring up to two guests with them. If you have a large family, this benefit could be invaluable as you can strategize by adding multiple authorized users to your card so that they can bring additional folks into the lounge with them. Just know that an adult must accompany guests under 18 years old.
While there’s only one Capital One Lounge open for now, Venture X cardholders will also get complimentary Priority Pass lounge membership. Like with Capital One Lounges, you’ll be able to bring up to two guests for no additional charge.
On a related note, your authorized users will also gain access to Priority Pass’ 1,300-plus lounges worldwide, with the ability to bring up to two guests. At airport restaurants that participate in Priority Pass, you’ll be able to redeem between $28 and $30 per person for food and drink. This applies to your authorized user and their guests as well.
To game this out, let’s say you opened the Venture X and then added four additional users for free. Both you and each of your authorized users would each be able to get into Capital One and Priority Pass lounges along with two guests each. Add it all together — five cardholders plus two guests apiece — and you could get 15 travelers into the airport lounge altogether. Not bad for a single credit card.
Complimentary Hertz Gold Plus Rewards elite status
Hertz’s partnership with Capital One grants complimentary Hertz President’s Circle elite status to Venture X primary cardholders and authorized users. This top-tier status gets you a guaranteed one-class car upgrade, 50% bonus points on all rentals, access to a broader range of cars and a dedicated customer service line. To enroll authorized users in this benefit, the primary cardholder will have to register them under travel benefits through their Capital One account.
Eligible cardholders must enroll through the unique “Benefits” tab link found within the Capital One website or mobile app. Cardholders can find the link to register by visiting their eligible card’s “Rewards” tab or “Capital One Travel Benefits” tab and clicking on the Hertz benefit tile.
Purchase and travel protections
The Capital One Venture X is a Visa Infinite card, so there are a number of important travel and purchase protections that both the primary cardholder and authorized user(s) can count on:
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance: Up to $2,000 per person for you and immediate family members for prepaid, nonrefundable tickets.
- Trip delay reimbursement: Up to $500 per person for reasonable expenses like hotel rooms, food, toiletries or clothes when your flight is delayed overnight or by six hours or more.
- Lost luggage reimbursement: Up to $3,000 per covered trip if the airline damages or loses your bags.
- Cellphone protection: Up to $800 in coverage per claim with a maximum of two claims and $1,600 per 12-month period. A $50 deductible applies per occurrence.
- Primary rental car insurance: Up to $75,000 due to damage caused by collision or theft to a rental car.
- Purchase, extended warranty and return protection: Up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account on purchases; warranties extended by an additional year; returns up to $300 per item and $1,000 per account.
Which benefits do Venture X authorized users share?
Authorized users on the Venture X do not receive their own individual $300 annual travel statement credit or Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit, but share them with the primary cardholder. That means these credits should apply to eligible charges made with an additional card on the account, but they will count against the primary cardholder’s benefit. Likewise, only the primary cardholders receive the 10,000-mile anniversary bonus.
That said, authorized users’ spending racks up Capital One miles at the same rates as the primary card, and purchases they make will count toward meeting the card’s minimum spending requirement to earn the introductory bonus. So adding users to your account and having them spend (responsibly) on your behalf could help you snag those 75,000 bonus miles even faster.
How to add authorized users to your Venture X
Once you decide that you want to add authorized users to your Venture X, head over to your Capital One account and look for the “I Want To” button on the right side of the screen. Then, click “Add Account User.”
You’ll then have to decide the level of access you want to provide to your authorized user. You have two options:
Here’s a full chart of what primary cardholders, account managers and authorized users can access.
Once you review the options, you’ll enter your authorized user’s first and last name, phone number, date of birth and Social Security number.
There’s no question about it: The Capital One Venture X provides generous benefits to authorized users. The best part is that you’ll be able to add four additional cardholders for free, making the Venture X affordable for larger families. Next time you visit a Capital One or Priority Pass lounge, you’ll be able to bring in the whole squad thanks to these authorized user benefits.
Official application link: Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum, click here.
Featured photo by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.