9 of the best sustainable backpacks for travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: The team at The Points Guy loves to travel, but now is not the time for unnecessary trips. Health officials note that the fastest way to return to normalcy is to stop coming in contact with others. That includes ceasing travel. We are publishing travel deals and destination content because we should all use this time to think about and plan our next adventures. TPG doesn’t advise booking trips for travel until summer or autumn — and even then be mindful of cancellation policies.
If you’re wishing you were anywhere but stuck at home this April, you’re not alone in your travel wanderlust. Although there are ways to channel it, like organizing your travel photos or planning a future trip, another way to deal with quarantine is stocking up (online, of course) on some new travel items.
In honor of Earth Day this month, TPG has pulled together a list of the best sustainable backpackers for travelers. From ones made from recycled plastic to trunk tarpaulins to former billboards, there’s a backpack for everyone on this list. Keep in mind these aren’t super technical backpacks for extreme hikers or adventurers, but instead are best used for carry-ons, beach trips, tourism or daily use.
When shopping from home, make sure to use an online shopping portal. Airlines, hotels and some credit card issuers have these portals that offer rewards when you sign up and click through to a retailer from the portal (rather than going to a store’s website directly). You can see our full guide to shopping portals here.
1. tentree Brooklyn backpack, $100
This 20-liter chic backpack which was designed in Canada and ethically manufactured in Vietnam is ideal for navigating airports, tube stations or pretty much anywhere. With a 15-inch laptop sleeve and an interior key hook, the Brooklyn backpack is both practical and comfortable. For each backpack purchased, the company plants 10 trees (hence the name tentree).
2. M-24 Rogue backpack, $149
This tough, waterproof M-24 Rogue backpack may not look like a typical travel backpack but it can weather quite a bit. The bag is made of reused truck tarpaulin, featuring distinct spaces for your tech items like a 15-inch laptop and beyond. The tarpaulins are sourced in the U.K., as well as cleaned, cut and made into backpacks in the company’s Somerset facility.
3. RAREFORM Ace backpack, $75
RAREFORM takes old billboard vinyl destined for landfills and turns it into backpacks. Each ACE backpack has a one-of-a-kind, colorful exterior (choose from endless color and pattern options) made of the recycled vinyl and the interior has space for a 15-inch laptop and much more.
4. Lefrik Daily backpack, $90
One of the most fashionable backpacks on the list, Lefrik’s Daily backpack comes in unique colors like dusky pink or dark lake. Made from a combination of recycled polyester and recycled water bottles, the bag is entirely vegan. It also comes with a laptop space and a special handle to attach to your suitcase.
5. Solgaard solar-powered lifepack, $200-$228
Made from recycled ocean plastic, the Solgaard backpack has a special solar bank charger that also doubles as a speaker. With a special laptop slot, secret pockets for items like your passport and an integrated anti-theft lock, this eco-friendly backpack is also functional for someone on the go.
6. The Level Collective Winnats Roll Top backpack, $369
The Level Collective Winnats Roll Top backpacks are crafted in small batches in the U.K. — and you can choose to add on special features like a stash pocket or whether you’d prefer vegan or regular leather details. The 18-20 liter volume bags are made from organic canvas and the company donates 10% of its backpack sales to a local food bank.
7. GROUNDTRUTH Rikr backpack, $357
Made from 100% recycled plastic, the GROUNDTRUTH Rikr backpack has a special separate laptop compartment, trolley sleeve and comes with a detachable pouch. The pack is water-resistant with multiple compartments for storage. The GROUNDTRUTH company only works with bluesign-certified manufacturers who adhere to the Global Recycled Standard and its factories offer employees fair working hours as well as access to training, health care, dental care and education for family members and children.
8. Everlane ReNew Transit backpack,$80
EVERLANE’s ReNew Transit backpack are made in an ethical factory from recycled polyester — right down to the zipper pulls. With an exterior laptop pocket that makes it just a little easier to slip out your computer for airport security, two water bottle holders and a special strap to attach to rolling luggage, this backpack is decidedly traveller-friendly — and stylish too.
9. Paravel Fold-Up backpack, $65
Easily compacted and tucked into your trolley bag, this fold-up backpack by Paravel is perfect for travelers wanting to shop in their destination and bring back some extra home or have a backpack to use at their destination. Made from 15 recycled bottles, the bag is not only sustainable but functional, lightweight and cool, coming with an extra stand-alone pouch for added storage and organization.
Although we don’t recommend traveling just yet, you can prepare by purchasing the perfect luggage or accessories. Start by picking up one of these eco-friendly backpacks in honor of Earth Day on April 22.
Featured photo by Jordan Siemens/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.