7 useful apps to organize and store travel photos
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re stuck at home with no travel plans in the near future, you can guide all that bubbling wanderlust into something productive. If you’re anything like us at TPG, you have thousands of travel photos on your phone and computer. These may or may not be organized, categorized, backed up or put into albums.
Here’s a list of our favorite apps to store and organize your shots, making them easier to view, share and print — keeping those fabulous travel memories alive.
The Dropbox app is all-encompassing — you can use it to save all your photos and have certain folders and files available offline on your phone and synced to your computer. Sharing is easy — just invite others to view your photos by sharing the folder via email. You can also set the app to automatically upload every photo you take. If you have a business account, you can connect your personal account with it. 2GB of space is offered for free, and paid plans are available for more space.
Google Photos is ideal if you want to create specific albums for many different trips, places or events. It’s similar to Dropbox in that you can set it to automatically upload all the photos you take and you can share specific albums with others. The app can be set to upload any shots you’ve snapped on your phone, or also use it to take photos from a camera you’ve put on a desktop or laptop computer. If you love using Google Docs, Google Drive, Gmail and Google Sheets, this app integrates seamlessly with all of them, making it easy to share photos (and documents) across the board. Rate plans through GoogleOne are available if you need more space (backing up photos, mail and drive) but if you’re willing to limit the resolution of your photos (16mp) and videos (1080p HD) you’ll get free unlimited storage.
If you’re traveling in a group and want to share photos, or it’s important that family and friends back home are updated on the play-by-plays of your adventures, Tripcast is the app for you. With an easy-to-use photo map feature, you can track your photos by place, and everyone on your trip can upload to the same album. Once you get home, you can easily download all of your (and everyone else’s) photos for safekeeping and offline access. Although the app feels a bit like social media, it’s private, sharing your memories only with the people that you allow to access.
If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can get unlimited photo storage with Amazon Photos as a benefit of your yearly membership. Although you’ll only get 5GB of space for videos, this isn’t a bad deal, as the $119 annual fee (more if you pay month-to-month) comes with this as well as a variety of other benefits like movie streaming and free shipping. The app could also be worth it for serious photographers, as it allows you to store not only JPEG files but also raw images. Keep in mind, that if you cancel your membership, you’ll lose this perk (and your photos), so this app is best for those who plan to have Amazon Prime indefinitely.
Diehard Apple users should consider using iCloud, which automatically uploads and syncs your photos and files between all of your Apple devices — iPhones, iPads and MacBooks. If you’re someone who constantly upgrades to the newest iPhone, iCloud will make these transfers easy, backing up all your important files and transferring them to the new device. The first 5GB are free with iCloud, and paid plans start at 50GB, with options for 200GB or 2TB (these last two plans you can share with your family).
Look for iCloud on your iPhone, iPad or Mac under settings.
With both business and personal/home plans, OneDrive syncs all of your documents and photos between your computer, tablet and phone. Those who love to use Microsoft Office in addition to organizing photos will find that OneDrive integrates well with all of the Office apps. Get 5GB of photo storage for free or 100GB for $1.99 per month. For those wanting Office, too, pricing starts at $69.99 for 1TB of space plus Office apps such as Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as Skype.
Snapfish is best for those who want to also print their photos, offering 100 free prints per month (but plan to pay for shipping). You can also link your social media accounts to upload photos from them, as well as create photo gifts, books, calendars and more. Although the app offers unlimited storage (each image must be150MB or less), it’s best for selective photo storage, since your photos must be manually uploaded, though you can upload several at a time. Automatic uploading isn’t an option, and the app doesn’t offer video storage.
With lots of time at home these days and likely over the coming weeks now is the ideal chance to get your photos in order — imagine the sense of satisfaction!
(Featured photo by Brad Fickeisen/Unsplash)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees