Deal Alert: US Cities to Tahiti for $486 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Tahiti is calling. French Polynesia offers breathtakingly clear lagoons, top-tier points properties from Hilton, Marriott and IHG as well as tropical temperatures year-round. It’s also prohibitively expensive to fly to, particularly for those situated along the eastern seaboard of the United States. Making the most of a stay there was the topic of our very first Miles Away podcast.
Right now, economy flights between Washington, DC (IAD and DCA) and Papeete, Tahiti (PPT) are pricing at $486 round-trip on SkyTeam partners Delta and Air France. That’s around 3x lower than the usual $1,500 or so that Delta and Air France typically charge. Many dates from the New York area are pricing out at just a few hundred dollars more, or you could grab a train down to DC to catch your flight.
Since the deal was posted, readers are spotting similar fares out of Chicago (ORD), Denver (DEN) and Houston (IAH) as well.
The US legs are handled on Delta metal, while the overwater jaunt between Los Angeles (LAX) and Papeete (PPT) is flown on an Air France 777. We reviewed that very trip a few months back in both business class and premium economy.
Unlike most flight deals, availability on this one is stupendous. You can legitimately leave this weekend and only pay $486 round-trip. The price looks to be sticking from now right on through the end of the booking window in January 2020.
Air France flies the LAX-PPT (and back) leg thrice weekly, with the LAX-PPT leg flown on Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday, while the PPT-LAX return flies on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday.
Once you land in Tahiti, we’d make plans to leave. The main island isn’t the most picturesque, but a cheap ferry to Moorea gets you to paradise in a jiffy. You can add flights on Air Tahiti (not to be confused with Air Tahiti Nui) to other islands like Bora Bora, Huahine, Raiatea, Maupiti and Tahaa for added adventure, and we’ve included reviews of some of our favorite hotels in French Polynesia below.
- A Review of The St. Regis Bora Bora
- A Review of the Intercontinental Bora Bora Le Moana
- A Review of the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa in French Polynesia
If you need to overnight in Tahiti, our budget is pick is Fare Suisse. If you’re looking for something a little more upscale, check out our reviews of the InterContinental Tahiti Resort and Spa and Manava Suite Resort Tahiti. Before you leave, be sure to pay a visit to the famed food trucks.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: Delta and Air France
Routes: DCA/IAD/ORD/DEN/IAH and possibly others to Papeete, Tahiti (PPT)
Cost: $486 round-trip
Travel Dates: March 2019 — January 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of dates you can book, all between Washington, DC (DCA/IAD) to Papeete, Tahiti (PPT):
March 16 – 22, 2019:
July 2 – 10, 2019:
August 1 – 11, 2019:
December 19 – 27, 2019:
January 4 – 12, 2020:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.