Deal alert: Book your fall getaway with Southwest from $39 or 2,240 points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been holding off on making fall travel plans, but are ready to book now, you’re in luck. Southwest is back with another sale, this time with discounted fares across its network.
Now through Sept. 27, Southwest is offering discounted Wanna Get Away fares for travel throughout the fall. Although Southwest is advertising fares from $59 one-way, the TPG team was able to find fares as low as $39 each way. Alternatively, you could book your flight from 2,240 points (worth $33.60 based on TPG valuations).
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The discounted fares are available for travel from Oct. 4 to Dec. 15, with a few blackout dates around Thanksgiving. The sales rules also state that a 21-day advance purchase is required, though based on our searches, it appears that discounted fares are being offered closer in as well.
You won’t see the lowest advertised fares every day of the week so you’ll want to use Southwest’s handy low-fare calendar button to search by cheapest price. Keep in mind that although Wanna Get Away is Southwest’s lowest fare type, these tickets still allow two free checked bags and fee-free changes. Also, although Southwest’s latest Companion Pass fast-track opportunity has ended, you can still register to earn double tier-qualifying points on flights through November.
Routes: Continental U.S., continental U.S. to/from Hawaii, interisland Hawaii and international travel.
Cost: $39 or 2,240 Southwest points plus $5.60 in taxes and fees one-way.
Dates: Book by Sept. 27 for travel between Oct. 4 and Dec. 15 (blackout dates apply).
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
Below are a few examples of what you can book. As a general rule of thumb, the shorter the distance, the lower the fare.
Honolulu (HNL) to Maui (OGG) for $39 one-way
Honolulu (HNL) to Maui (OGG) for 2,240 points plus $5.60 one-way
Los Angeles (LAX) to Phoenix (PHX) for $49 one-way
Los Angeles (LAX) to Phoenix (PHX) for 2,671 points plus $5.60 one-way
Denver (DEN) to Long Beach, California (LGB), for $49 one-way
Baltimore (BWI) to Cincinnati (CVG) for $59 one-way
Houston (HOU) to Corpus Christi, Texas (CRP), for $59 one-way
How to book
Unfortunately, Google Flights doesn’t show prices for Southwest flights. So, your best bet would be to search and book directly through Southwest’s website. Plug in your desired departure and destination cities and use the low-fare calendar to find the cheapest dates.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express Gold Card (3x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel), Citi Premier Card (3x on air travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by David Slotnick/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees