Act quickly to earn a two-month Southwest Companion Pass after just two flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
The Southwest Companion Pass is unquestionably one of the most valuable perks in the travel world. After earning the pass, you can choose a companion to travel with you for just the cost of taxes and fees on any Southwest Airlines flights booked with cash or miles (yes, including to Hawaii and international destinations).
Sign-up for the TPG free daily newsletter to get stories like this delivered to your inbox.
Typically, you can earn a regular Companion Pass by flying 100 Southwest flight segments or earning 125,000 qualifying points in a calendar year. The airline effectively lowered these requirements earlier this year, as Southwest gave members a boost towards the pass due to decreased travel during COVID-19. A Companion Pass is valid for the calendar year in which you earn it, and the following one. For example, if you crossed the 100-flight threshold this month, you’d enjoy a Companion Pass for the rest of 2021 and 2022.
But, as Miles to Memories reported this morning, Southwest is offering a new limited-time promotion that makes it a lot easier to earn that coveted Companion Pass after taking just two one-way flights or one round-trip flight. Before you get too excited, though, this promotional pass will be valid for a much shorter duration than the regular pass. And you’ll need to register and book your flights soon. Here’s what you need to know.
Rapid Rewards members can register for the promotion here. You’ll need to register and purchase one round trip or two one-way revenue flights between Sept. 7, 2021, and Sept. 9, 2021, for travel between Sept. 7, 2021, and Nov. 18, 2021. Domestic and international revenue flights booked in any fare class are eligible for this promotion. One-way flights are those between an origin and destination city, including any intermediate stops and/or connections on Southwest Airlines. So you won’t qualify on a single one-way itinerary that happens to include two or more flight segments.
Charter flights, group travel, Southwest Vacations packages and reservations made using Rapid Rewards points won’t qualify for the promotion. Changes made to the itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualification for this promotion. So, this is one time you won’t want to rebook your Southwest flights if they drop in price.
After you’ve met the requirements, you will receive a limited-time Companion Pass for flights purchased and completed between Jan. 6, 2022, and Feb. 28, 2022. That limits the potential usefulness somewhat since you cannot book an extra ticket with your provisional Companion Pass before January 6, but that still gives you nearly two months to book and fly. You can select your initial companion within ‘My Account’ on the website or by calling Southwest at 1-800-435-9792. To change your companion, you must call 1-800-435-9792.
The Southwest Companion Pass can provide tons of value to travelers who use it. However, before booking travel to maximize this promotion, consider whether you’ll use the promotional Companion Pass for flights between Jan. 6 and Feb. 28, 2022. If you will, this promotion may be a great deal if you already plan to travel this fall and can book or rebook eligible Southwest flights at a reasonable rate.
The regular Southwest Companion Pass isn’t terribly difficult to earn for those who lean into Southwest credit card welcome bonuses to get them closer to the goal line. But this promotion makes it easier for even the most casual Southwest fliers to earn a Companion Pass for a few months.
Additional reporting by Katie Genter.
Featured photo by David Slotnick/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees