You can still fly home for Thanksgiving with Frontier’s 50% sale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you still haven’t booked a flight home for Thanksgiving (or just assumed it wasn’t going to happen at all due to expensive airfare) Frontier might be showing its thanks a little early.
On Friday, Nov. 8, Frontier is running a promotion for flights right around the Thanksgiving holiday — you can get 50% off all flights between Nov. 20 and 26, as well as flights on Nov. 28 and Dec 3. Just use promo code THANKS when booking your flight, and don’t wait too long: The deal is only valid for one day and will expire at the end of Nov. 8.
The discount is valid for select nonstop domestic routes, plus nonstop flights between the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. The 50% savings is only on the base fare.
Routes: Various domestic routes
Cost: 50% off
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), the Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with airlines or via amextravel.com) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Denver (DEN) to Miami (MIA)
Arrive in Miami from Denver first thing in the morning on Thanksgiving day, Nov. 28, for just $100.30. For this same route, the least expensive price you’ll find on other airlines is $214 and that includes a layover. This is a great deal for a nonstop route giving you plenty of time to enjoy your Thanksgiving meal.
Orlando (MCO) to Providence (PVD)
Fly out for Thanksgiving early on Nov. 26 and spend some extra time with the family for only $15! Or, if you can’t take off that much time from work, flights for that route between Orlando and Providence are all reliably inexpensive.
Atlanta (ATL) to Islip (ISP)
If you need to get to Long Island for your Thanksgiving holiday, Long Island MacArthur Airport in Islip is incredibly convenient, and it can help you to avoid all that holiday traffic. Best of all, you can fly the Tuesday before Thanksgiving for just $80.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Keep in mind that Frontier Airlines is a low-cost carrier, which means you’ll have to pay extra for carry-on bags and seat assignments. So, definitely take into consideration those additional fees when comparing the price of a ticket against other airlines. But with fares this low during such a peak travel time, chances are Frontier will beat any competitor pricing for these particular routes.
For travelers who have not flown Frontier before, here are some tips to keep in mind to ensure a smooth travel experience.
Feature photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.