Delta Flash Sale: Domestic Awards From 10,000 SkyMiles, Caribbean From 16,000 SkyMiles Round-Trip
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta has launched an award sale for both domestic and Caribbean travel. Round-trip domestic economy awards start at 10,000 SkyMiles round-trip and Caribbean routes start at just 16,000 SkyMiles round-trip. While it’s not the first time Delta has offered domestic and Caribbean destinations as part of a flash sale, these are great redemptions that could be worth taking advantage of.
For domestic redemptions, you’ll need to travel between January 15 and February 28, 2019. And for the Caribbean deals, you’ll need to fly between October 1 and November 16, 2018. Although Delta’s deals site only lists select routes for these deals, we’re seeing quite a few other airports included as well as these promo redemption rates extending beyond the given dates.
At current TPG valuations, 10,000 SkyMiles are worth approximately $120, while 16,000 SkyMiles are worth $192. Adding in taxes and fees ranging from $11 to $80, you could be getting away with some steals on tickets that often cost several hundred dollars.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Head to Delta.com and search around for the route of your choice to see how it’s pricing. The sale for both domestic and Caribbean ends September 19 at 11:59pm ET, so book soon if you want to take advantage of the deal.
Routes: Flights between US cities; flights between US cities and Caribbean destinations like SJU/SJO/MBJ/NAS and more
Cost: 10,000+ SkyMiles round-trip in economy in the US; 16,000+ SkyMiles round-trip in economy to the Caribbean
Purchase By: September 19
Dates: January 15 – February 28, 2019 for US routes; October 1 – November 16, 2018 for Caribbean routes
Booking Link: Directly with Delta
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Portland (PWM) for 10,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to San Francisco (SFO) for 11,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip:
Cincinnati (CVG) to Boston (BOS) for 15,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to San Juan (SJU) for 16,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Anchorage (ANC) for 16,000 SkyMiles + $11 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ) for 24,000 SkyMiles + $136 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS) for 24,000 SkyMiles + $113 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) for 26,000 SkyMiles + $80 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
Featured image by Levente Bodo / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.