Deal alert: JAL business class flights to Asia have dropped to $2,267 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
If you’re planning your Asia getaway or you’re trying to maintain American Airlines elite status, this great Japan Airlines deal might be for you. We’re seeing deals from major U.S. cities such as New York (JFK), Boston (BOS) and San Diego (SAN) starting as low as $2,267 round-trip. We first spotted the deals to Taipei at FlyerTalk.
All tickets are round-trip with lie-flat seats and some include long layovers in Tokyo. If flying from Hawaii, you can even snag a nonstop flight.
If you’re unfamiliar with JAL business class, it’s a product we’ve reviewed extensively. From five-star service, to delicious food and a staggered Apex suite configuration, it’s a highly-competitive product.
We’re less than three months to the end of the year, and if you’re trying to get (or keep) American elite status this could be a great way to do so. For instance, New York (JFK) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) will net you over 40,000 EQMs and nearly 11,000 award miles. However, with this discounted business class fare, you will only net 2,138 EQDs.
To reach Gold status, it requires flyers to earn 25,000 elite-qualifying miles (EQMs) or 30 elite-qualifying segments (EQSs) and spend $3,000 elite-qualifying dollars (EQDs) per calendar year. If you book this deal, coupled with a couple of short-haul flights, you could get AA Gold status easily. We value American Gold status at $904. You can find information on the AAdvantage program and its membership tiers here.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: Japan Airlines
Routes: JFK/BOS/HNL/SAN – KUL/PVG/TPE/PEK/KHH/NGO
Cost: $2,267+ round-trip in business
Dates: November – March 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Taipei (TPE) for $2,267 round-trip in business class:
New York (JFK) to Kaohsiung (KHH) for $2,268 round-trip in business class:
New York (JFK) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $2,294 round-trip in business class (long layovers in Tokyo):
Boston (BOS) to Beijing (PEK) for $2,327 round-trip in business class:
San Diego (SAN) to Beijing (PEK) for $2,327 round-trip in business class:
Honolulu (HNL) to Nagoya (NGO) for $2,705 round-trip nonstop in business class:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Nick Ellis/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees