Alaska Airlines offering free flight to new CA members, discounts for all
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now, Alaska is hoping to boost awareness around its recent expansion by offering new Mileage Plan members an opportunity to book a one-way or round-trip flight within California for just the cost of taxes and fees — starting at $15 each way.
Currently, the carrier’s nonstop intra-California routes include:
- Los Angeles (LAX): Fresno (FAT), San Francisco, San Jose (SJC), Santa Rosa (STS)
- San Diego (SAN): Fresno, Monterey (MRY), San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Rosa
- San Francisco (SFO): Los Angeles, Orange County (SNA), Palm Springs (PSP), San Diego
This promotion is limited to the first 25,000 eligible California residents to sign up for a new Mileage Plan account at this dedicated page by March 3, 2021.
The promo is limited to new members — according to the airline, ” Duplicate Mileage Plan accounts created for one individual will be deactivated. Creation of duplicate accounts may result in suspension of your Mileage Plan account.”
After you’re enrolled, expect to receive a discount code on March 5, 2021 which you can then use by 11:59pm PT on March 7 to book an intra-California trip for travel Mondays through Thursdays between March 29 and May 26, 2021. The “R” fare class must be available in order to score a discount on any given flight between March 29 and March 30, while “G” class is required beginning March 31.
Alaska also has an offer for existing Mileage Plan members — flyers can save up to 30% on flights to or from California (excluding Hawaii) by entering code SAFETYDANCE into the discount code field. Exclusions apply, as outlined on this page.
Alaska’s Mileage Plan program is set to get even more rewarding when the carrier joins American Airlines in the Oneworld alliance later this year. All members will be able to earn and redeem miles with Oneworld airlines, such as American, British Airways and Cathay Pacific, while elite flyers will be able to enjoy their benefits while flying AA and other Oneworld carriers as well.
It’s especially easy to earn Alaska status at the moment, as well — the carrier is currently offering a match for Delta, Southwest and United elites, giving flyers until April 15, 2021 to request status all the way up to top-tier MVP Gold 75K, with perks valid through the end of 2021.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees