Alaska Airlines offering free flight to new CA members, discounts for all
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Now, Alaska is hoping to boost awareness around its recent expansion by offering new Mileage Plan members an opportunity to book a one-way or round-trip flight within California for just the cost of taxes and fees — starting at $15 each way.
Currently, the carrier’s nonstop intra-California routes include:
- Los Angeles (LAX): Fresno (FAT), San Francisco, San Jose (SJC), Santa Rosa (STS)
- San Diego (SAN): Fresno, Monterey (MRY), San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Rosa
- San Francisco (SFO): Los Angeles, Orange County (SNA), Palm Springs (PSP), San Diego
This promotion is limited to the first 25,000 eligible California residents to sign up for a new Mileage Plan account at this dedicated page by March 3, 2021.
The promo is limited to new members — according to the airline, ” Duplicate Mileage Plan accounts created for one individual will be deactivated. Creation of duplicate accounts may result in suspension of your Mileage Plan account.”
After you’re enrolled, expect to receive a discount code on March 5, 2021 which you can then use by 11:59pm PT on March 7 to book an intra-California trip for travel Mondays through Thursdays between March 29 and May 26, 2021. The “R” fare class must be available in order to score a discount on any given flight between March 29 and March 30, while “G” class is required beginning March 31.
Alaska also has an offer for existing Mileage Plan members — flyers can save up to 30% on flights to or from California (excluding Hawaii) by entering code SAFETYDANCE into the discount code field. Exclusions apply, as outlined on this page.
Alaska’s Mileage Plan program is set to get even more rewarding when the carrier joins American Airlines in the Oneworld alliance later this year. All members will be able to earn and redeem miles with Oneworld airlines, such as American, British Airways and Cathay Pacific, while elite flyers will be able to enjoy their benefits while flying AA and other Oneworld carriers as well.
It’s especially easy to earn Alaska status at the moment, as well — the carrier is currently offering a match for Delta, Southwest and United elites, giving flyers until April 15, 2021 to request status all the way up to top-tier MVP Gold 75K, with perks valid through the end of 2021.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.