United’s Fancy New 777 Is Flying From Newark to Europe This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The 777-300ER may be United’s flagship, but good luck actually managing to fly it — the airline only has 14 of Boeing’s largest jets in its fleet, and, with the exception of a couple 767-300ERs, this particular 777 is your only opportunity to experience UA’s much-improved Polaris biz seat.
For that reason, it’s especially exciting when the airline adds its new 777 to an existing route. So far, it’s available on:
- Newark to Tel Aviv
- Newark to Tokyo
- San Francisco to Hong Kong
- San Francisco to Tokyo
- San Francisco to Taipei
- San Francisco to Beijing
- San Francisco to Frankfurt
- San Francisco to Auckland
- San Francisco to Tel Aviv (launching May 23, 2018)
And now United has added the 777-300ER to another route out of Newark. Seasonal service to Frankfurt is scheduled to begin on March 24, running through July 31, at which point the flight will be operated by a 777-200ER with the old 2-2-2 business-class seats.
This 777-300ER is likely coming from the seasonal San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) route, which runs through March 22 and resumes on October 27, 2018. Given that two aircraft are required to operate that flight, it’s possible that we’ll see the new 777 pop up on another summer flight as well.
There’s plenty of upgrade availability, including on the “inaugural” flight:
Miraculously, there are even a couple dates with business-class awards, priced at 60,000 MileagePlus miles, though I’m only seeing space in March at this point.
This is easily my favorite United business product — seats are arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration, and there’s decent privacy regardless of which you pick.
Note that while the 777-300ER represents an upgrade in business class, it’s definitely a step down in coach. Economy and Economy Plus seats are arranged in a dense 3-4-3 configuration, allowing United to carry more customers at the expense of passenger comfort.
That said, TPG contributor J. Keith van Straaten loved his Economy Plus flight to Taipei on this same plane, and if you end up with an empty seat next to you as he did on his transpacific journey, the 17-inch-wide seats may actually be manageable.
If you’re interested in booking a biz-class award or confirming an upgrade from economy at booking, I’d make a reservation sooner than later, since this plane is likely to be a hit once passengers catch wind of the comfort boost — and business availability.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.