United’s Fancy New 777 Is Flying From Newark to Europe This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The 777-300ER may be United’s flagship, but good luck actually managing to fly it — the airline only has 14 of Boeing’s largest jets in its fleet, and, with the exception of a couple 767-300ERs, this particular 777 is your only opportunity to experience UA’s much-improved Polaris biz seat.
For that reason, it’s especially exciting when the airline adds its new 777 to an existing route. So far, it’s available on:
- Newark to Tel Aviv
- Newark to Tokyo
- San Francisco to Hong Kong
- San Francisco to Tokyo
- San Francisco to Taipei
- San Francisco to Beijing
- San Francisco to Frankfurt
- San Francisco to Auckland
- San Francisco to Tel Aviv (launching May 23, 2018)
And now United has added the 777-300ER to another route out of Newark. Seasonal service to Frankfurt is scheduled to begin on March 24, running through July 31, at which point the flight will be operated by a 777-200ER with the old 2-2-2 business-class seats.
This 777-300ER is likely coming from the seasonal San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) route, which runs through March 22 and resumes on October 27, 2018. Given that two aircraft are required to operate that flight, it’s possible that we’ll see the new 777 pop up on another summer flight as well.
There’s plenty of upgrade availability, including on the “inaugural” flight:
Miraculously, there are even a couple dates with business-class awards, priced at 60,000 MileagePlus miles, though I’m only seeing space in March at this point.
This is easily my favorite United business product — seats are arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration, and there’s decent privacy regardless of which you pick.
Note that while the 777-300ER represents an upgrade in business class, it’s definitely a step down in coach. Economy and Economy Plus seats are arranged in a dense 3-4-3 configuration, allowing United to carry more customers at the expense of passenger comfort.
That said, TPG contributor J. Keith van Straaten loved his Economy Plus flight to Taipei on this same plane, and if you end up with an empty seat next to you as he did on his transpacific journey, the 17-inch-wide seats may actually be manageable.
If you’re interested in booking a biz-class award or confirming an upgrade from economy at booking, I’d make a reservation sooner than later, since this plane is likely to be a hit once passengers catch wind of the comfort boost — and business availability.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees