TSA Found a Record-Breaking Number of Guns in February
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Between February 5 – 11, the Transportation Safety Administration reported that there was a record-breaking number of guns found at airport checkpoints. The TSA found 104 firearms in carry-on bags that week, breaking the former record that was set in July of last year.
Of the 104 guns found, 87 were loaded. Of those 87, nearly half had a live round chambered and ready to fire.
The number of firearms found at checkpoints, which TSA started tracking in 2005, continues to climb in 2018. The TSA attributes the growing number to the increase in travelers, as well as the number of licensed firearm holders.
Travelers who bring firearms — loaded or not — to TSA checkpoints are at risk of facing state or local criminal charges. The TSA can also file federal civil claims of up to $13,000 against offenders.
“You will face criminal charges if you bring your firearm to the checkpoint,” said Lt. Kevin Ayd of the Maryland Transportation Authority Police Department at a press conference today, according to The Washington Post.
The TSA says that if you do plan on taking a firearm with you during a flight, to check its website about how to properly carry and stow your firearm.
Featured image by Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.