This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Between February 5 – 11, the Transportation Safety Administration reported that there was a record-breaking number of guns found at airport checkpoints. The TSA found 104 firearms in carry-on bags that week, breaking the former record that was set in July of last year.
Of the 104 guns found, 87 were loaded. Of those 87, nearly half had a live round chambered and ready to fire.
The number of firearms found at checkpoints, which TSA started tracking in 2005, continues to climb in 2018. The TSA attributes the growing number to the increase in travelers, as well as the number of licensed firearm holders.
Travelers who bring firearms — loaded or not — to TSA checkpoints are at risk of facing state or local criminal charges. The TSA can also file federal civil claims of up to $13,000 against offenders.
“You will face criminal charges if you bring your firearm to the checkpoint,” said Lt. Kevin Ayd of the Maryland Transportation Authority Police Department at a press conference today, according to The Washington Post.
The TSA says that if you do plan on taking a firearm with you during a flight, to check its website about how to properly carry and stow your firearm.
Featured image by Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards