TSA Found a Record-Breaking Number of Guns in February
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Between February 5 – 11, the Transportation Safety Administration reported that there was a record-breaking number of guns found at airport checkpoints. The TSA found 104 firearms in carry-on bags that week, breaking the former record that was set in July of last year.
Of the 104 guns found, 87 were loaded. Of those 87, nearly half had a live round chambered and ready to fire.
The number of firearms found at checkpoints, which TSA started tracking in 2005, continues to climb in 2018. The TSA attributes the growing number to the increase in travelers, as well as the number of licensed firearm holders.
Travelers who bring firearms — loaded or not — to TSA checkpoints are at risk of facing state or local criminal charges. The TSA can also file federal civil claims of up to $13,000 against offenders.
“You will face criminal charges if you bring your firearm to the checkpoint,” said Lt. Kevin Ayd of the Maryland Transportation Authority Police Department at a press conference today, according to The Washington Post.
The TSA says that if you do plan on taking a firearm with you during a flight, to check its website about how to properly carry and stow your firearm.
Featured image by Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees