This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration found, on average, more than 10 firearms per day at checkpoints around the country last year. The TSA released its 2017 findings, with the highlight (lowlight?) being that agents found 3,957 guns at airport checkpoints — a 17% increase from 2016’s total of 3,391.
Perhaps most shocking was the fact that the majority of the guns confiscated by TSA agents were loaded. Based on TSA data, these are the 10 airports where the most guns were found:
1. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (ATL) — 245 guns found (222 loaded)
2. Dallas-Fort Worth International (DFW) — 211 guns found (165 loaded)
3. George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) — 142 guns found (124 loaded)
4. Denver International (DEN) — 118 guns found (102 loaded)
5. Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX) — 115 guns found (109 loaded)
6. Tampa International (TPA) — 97 guns found (90 loaded)
7. Orlando International (MCO) — 94 guns found (82 loaded)
8. Dallas Love Field (DAL) — 93 guns found (81 loaded)
9. Nashville International (BNA) — 89 guns found (71 loaded)
10. Seattle-Tacoma International (SEA) — 75 guns found (60 loaded)
The TSA attributed the rise in the number of guns confiscated due to the rise in the number of passengers going through the security checkpoint as opposed to a terror threat. At more than 440 airports, agents screened 771.5 million passengers in 2017 — that’s up from 738.3 million travelers in 2016.
This isn’t anything new, though. In the past decade, the number of firearms confiscated by TSA agents has steadily increased. And firearms aren’t the only thing the TSA uncovers — it does find other quirky items. While the agency has caught a large number of firearms over the last decade, it recently has taken a lot of heat for failing to detect more than 94% of threats in 2017.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees