This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration found, on average, more than 10 firearms per day at checkpoints around the country last year. The TSA released its 2017 findings, with the highlight (lowlight?) being that agents found 3,957 guns at airport checkpoints — a 17% increase from 2016’s total of 3,391.
Perhaps most shocking was the fact that the majority of the guns confiscated by TSA agents were loaded. Based on TSA data, these are the 10 airports where the most guns were found:
1. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (ATL) — 245 guns found (222 loaded)
2. Dallas-Fort Worth International (DFW) — 211 guns found (165 loaded)
3. George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) — 142 guns found (124 loaded)
4. Denver International (DEN) — 118 guns found (102 loaded)
5. Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX) — 115 guns found (109 loaded)
6. Tampa International (TPA) — 97 guns found (90 loaded)
7. Orlando International (MCO) — 94 guns found (82 loaded)
8. Dallas Love Field (DAL) — 93 guns found (81 loaded)
9. Nashville International (BNA) — 89 guns found (71 loaded)
10. Seattle-Tacoma International (SEA) — 75 guns found (60 loaded)
The TSA attributed the rise in the number of guns confiscated due to the rise in the number of passengers going through the security checkpoint as opposed to a terror threat. At more than 440 airports, agents screened 771.5 million passengers in 2017 — that’s up from 738.3 million travelers in 2016.
This isn’t anything new, though. In the past decade, the number of firearms confiscated by TSA agents has steadily increased. And firearms aren’t the only thing the TSA uncovers — it does find other quirky items. While the agency has caught a large number of firearms over the last decade, it recently has taken a lot of heat for failing to detect more than 94% of threats in 2017.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel