Delta Denies US Men’s Curling Team an Upgrade on Flight Home
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Not even gold status will get you upgraded with Delta. After a stunning gold-medal win for the US men’s curling team, Delta missed the easy opportunity for a PR win. Instead, the airline denied the curling team an upgrade on their trip home from Pyeongchang.
Team USA’s win in curling — the first for an American team in the sport — left the men riding high, with gold medals draped around their necks. So when the USA Curling Twitter account asked Delta if the carrier could spot a few seats for upgrades, Delta quickly shot the team down, claiming that it didn’t have any spots to offer.
While Delta indeed has no obligation to upgrade the gold-medal winners, many on social media found the airline’s response to be rather cold.
Curling Team: We won the gold medal, hook us up. Delta: You’re still curlers. pic.twitter.com/MDaUuEaz9X
— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) February 25, 2018
A spokesperson from Delta told Inc.: “We are excited these Olympic champions have chosen to fly home on Delta, and we are looking forward to welcoming them on board. While there are no seats currently available for upgrades, we are working with our employee teams to celebrate their gold-medal achievement ahead of departure and in flight.”
The team members — John Shuster, Tyler George, Matt Hamilton, John Landsteiner and Joe Polo — are based in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Delta operates out of Seoul (ICN), with nonstop service on Mondays to Atlanta (ATL), Detroit (DTW) and Seattle (SEA). Of course, Delta’s new A350, operates on the ICN-DTW route, featuring its Delta One Suite. The athletes then could continue on to their home airport, perhaps Minneapolis (MSP). But, the A350 would be their most comfortable option — of course, that is if they did get upgraded. Check out TPG’s review of the Delta One Suites on the A350 in the below video:
So, even though it looks like the team’s upgrades won’t become a reality, hopefully Delta can help in giving them the VIP treatment on their trip home. As for now, it appears gold status with Delta isn’t enough.
Featured image by Jean Catuffe / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees