Marriott’s ‘Extra Points Sundays’ Returns for the Super Bowl
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Update 9:34pm: The third — and presumably final — Extra Points Sundays question is live. The answer is the loneliest number. You have until 6am Eastern on February 5 to respond with the correct answer with the hashtag #RewardsPoints to earn 500 Marriott points:
Update 8:16pm: The second question is out! The answer can be found with a quick Google of “Super Bowl XXVI” but — if your presidential trivia is better than your football trivia — it’s also is the year that Bill Clinton was elected president. You have until 6am Eastern on February 5 to respond with the correct answer with the hashtag #RewardsPoints to earn 500 Marriott points:
Update 6:33pm: The first of seemingly three tweets is out! And the answer is an integer that falls between 13 and 15. You have until 6am Eastern on February 5 to respond with the correct answer with the hashtag #RewardsPoints to earn 500 Marriott points:
During the NFL regular season, Marriott’s “Extra Points Sundays” promotion was an excellent way of racking up free Marriott points. If you answered all of the questions correctly by each week’s deadline and with the required #RewardsPoints hashtag, you’d have earned 12,000 Marriott Rewards points. That’s enough for a free night at a category 1 or 2 hotel.
While we figured the last day of the regular season might spell the end of “Extra Points Sundays” for this season, Marriott has taken to Twitter to share that Marriott Rewards members can “score up to 1,500 Rewards Points” during the Super Bowl on Sunday:
Since there aren’t any questions live yet, for now all you can do is connect your Twitter and Marriott Rewards accounts. Make sure to do so before you tweet your answers during the game or the points won’t credit. For each social media account you connect to Marriott Rewards — including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram — you’ll get an extra 250 points. Plus, following Marriott on Twitter and Instagram will earn you another 125 points for each one.
In his most recent points valuations, TPG puts Marriott Rewards points as being worth 0.9 cents apiece, so the 1,500 Marriott bonus points you can earn during the big game are worth $13.50 in value. Keep in mind you can also transfer points between Marriott and SPG at a ratio of 3 to 1 thanks to the merger of the two chains, so you’ll also have the option to move these points over to Starwood if you have more use for them there. Also, remember that you have to have qualifying activity every two years to keep your Marriott points alive, and points earned via social activity don’t count toward resetting the expiration clock.
Check back during the Super Bowl for hints to the questions as they’re posted. But in the meantime, you can start your journey toward more Marriott points by signing up for the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card. You’ll earn 75,000 bonus points by spending $3,000 within the first three months of opening your account, and the $85 annual fee is waived the first year.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott Bangkok.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.