Marriott’s ‘Extra Points Sundays’ Returns for the Super Bowl
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Update 9:34pm: The third — and presumably final — Extra Points Sundays question is live. The answer is the loneliest number. You have until 6am Eastern on February 5 to respond with the correct answer with the hashtag #RewardsPoints to earn 500 Marriott points:
Update 8:16pm: The second question is out! The answer can be found with a quick Google of “Super Bowl XXVI” but — if your presidential trivia is better than your football trivia — it’s also is the year that Bill Clinton was elected president. You have until 6am Eastern on February 5 to respond with the correct answer with the hashtag #RewardsPoints to earn 500 Marriott points:
Update 6:33pm: The first of seemingly three tweets is out! And the answer is an integer that falls between 13 and 15. You have until 6am Eastern on February 5 to respond with the correct answer with the hashtag #RewardsPoints to earn 500 Marriott points:
During the NFL regular season, Marriott’s “Extra Points Sundays” promotion was an excellent way of racking up free Marriott points. If you answered all of the questions correctly by each week’s deadline and with the required #RewardsPoints hashtag, you’d have earned 12,000 Marriott Rewards points. That’s enough for a free night at a category 1 or 2 hotel.
While we figured the last day of the regular season might spell the end of “Extra Points Sundays” for this season, Marriott has taken to Twitter to share that Marriott Rewards members can “score up to 1,500 Rewards Points” during the Super Bowl on Sunday:
Since there aren’t any questions live yet, for now all you can do is connect your Twitter and Marriott Rewards accounts. Make sure to do so before you tweet your answers during the game or the points won’t credit. For each social media account you connect to Marriott Rewards — including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram — you’ll get an extra 250 points. Plus, following Marriott on Twitter and Instagram will earn you another 125 points for each one.
In his most recent points valuations, TPG puts Marriott Rewards points as being worth 0.9 cents apiece, so the 1,500 Marriott bonus points you can earn during the big game are worth $13.50 in value. Keep in mind you can also transfer points between Marriott and SPG at a ratio of 3 to 1 thanks to the merger of the two chains, so you’ll also have the option to move these points over to Starwood if you have more use for them there. Also, remember that you have to have qualifying activity every two years to keep your Marriott points alive, and points earned via social activity don’t count toward resetting the expiration clock.
Check back during the Super Bowl for hints to the questions as they’re posted. But in the meantime, you can start your journey toward more Marriott points by signing up for the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card. You’ll earn 75,000 bonus points by spending $3,000 within the first three months of opening your account, and the $85 annual fee is waived the first year.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott Bangkok.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees