A Pilot and Flight Attendant Got Married on Delta’s Final 747 Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s Boeing 747 farewell tour has been drawn out for what seems like an eternity. But on Wednesday, on its actual final flight to Pinal Airpark (MZJ) near Tucson, Arizona, those on board are witnessed a special occasion in addition to the already special last 747 flight — a couple said “I do” while on the flight.
According to social media reports from those on board, the couple that got hitched have a very special connection to the 747. The two — Gene P., a pilot, and Holly R., a flight attendant — met on board a Boeing 747 nine years ago on a military charter flight to Kuwait.
“Since then we’ve spent years flying this airplane together around the world,” Gene said. “In a lot of ways we really grew up on the 747, so it’s a fitting salute to say goodbye with this milestone. For us, it’s really a way of showing that as one life ends, another one begins.”
The couple wed while in-flight on the aircraft’s trip to its forever home in the desert. The cabin was outfitted with traditional wedding decorations — rose petals down the aisle, white decor and bows wrapped around the seats.
“I love this plane – it truly feels like home to me,” Holly said. “I feel very fortunate that the 747 was based in Detroit. I was able to fly with the same crews and we really became a family. It’s always been my favorite plane, and it’s absolutely a love of Gene’s – he loves it like he loves me. We’re so fortunate to able to give her a farewell with the memory of a lifetime. It was meant to be.”
For any AvGeek — especially for these two who have a very special connection to the aircraft — getting married on the Queen of the Skies surely means the most. The ceremony even featured a 747-themed wedding cake.
Delta is the final US carrier to operate 747s — that is, until N674US lands in MZJ for the final time. Read more from TPG Managing Editor Alberta Riva’s experience on the last passenger Delta 747 flight, and from TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig’s experience on six things he’ll never forget from Delta’s 747 farewell flight to Boeing’s facility at Paine Field. And, if you still have your eyes set on checking out a 747 before they’re totally a thing of the past, several international carriers still fly the aircraft to North America.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees