A Pilot and Flight Attendant Got Married on Delta’s Final 747 Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s Boeing 747 farewell tour has been drawn out for what seems like an eternity. But on Wednesday, on its actual final flight to Pinal Airpark (MZJ) near Tucson, Arizona, those on board are witnessed a special occasion in addition to the already special last 747 flight — a couple said “I do” while on the flight.
According to social media reports from those on board, the couple that got hitched have a very special connection to the 747. The two — Gene P., a pilot, and Holly R., a flight attendant — met on board a Boeing 747 nine years ago on a military charter flight to Kuwait.
“Since then we’ve spent years flying this airplane together around the world,” Gene said. “In a lot of ways we really grew up on the 747, so it’s a fitting salute to say goodbye with this milestone. For us, it’s really a way of showing that as one life ends, another one begins.”
The couple wed while in-flight on the aircraft’s trip to its forever home in the desert. The cabin was outfitted with traditional wedding decorations — rose petals down the aisle, white decor and bows wrapped around the seats.
“I love this plane – it truly feels like home to me,” Holly said. “I feel very fortunate that the 747 was based in Detroit. I was able to fly with the same crews and we really became a family. It’s always been my favorite plane, and it’s absolutely a love of Gene’s – he loves it like he loves me. We’re so fortunate to able to give her a farewell with the memory of a lifetime. It was meant to be.”
For any AvGeek — especially for these two who have a very special connection to the aircraft — getting married on the Queen of the Skies surely means the most. The ceremony even featured a 747-themed wedding cake.
Delta is the final US carrier to operate 747s — that is, until N674US lands in MZJ for the final time. Read more from TPG Managing Editor Alberta Riva’s experience on the last passenger Delta 747 flight, and from TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig’s experience on six things he’ll never forget from Delta’s 747 farewell flight to Boeing’s facility at Paine Field. And, if you still have your eyes set on checking out a 747 before they’re totally a thing of the past, several international carriers still fly the aircraft to North America.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.