This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Trick Dog, San Francisco’s award-winning cocktail bar helmed by partners Josh Harris and Morgan Schick, just unveiled an aviation-themed drink menu with frequent fliers in mind. The Mission District bar — known for introducing a brand-new cocktail menu based on a different theme every six months — recently announced the arrival of Trick Dog Airways, running from now until July 5, 2018.
Riffing on in-flight information cards, TD Airways has a tri-fold menu with illustrations by Peter Gamlen and features plane model diagrams, international terminal maps and business class selections for those who like upgrades. (Proceeds from the sale of the menu itself benefit Seven Tepees Youth Programs, Trick Dog’s long-time non-profit partner.)
Named for international airport terminals — from Sydney to Boston — the drinks are divided into Spirit-driven and Citrus cocktails on the TD Airways “Where We Fly” map. Along with cocktails, patrons can find options in the Shots, Highball and Low-Proof sections; those in need of a boost may want to try the low-proof Red Eye, made with Aperol, Mezcal Unión, Combier Kummel, tomato, pineapple and lemon.
In the business class section, Trick Dog Airways lists private barrel spirits on the menu, including a 2017 Mellow Corn whiskey and an Elijah Craig bourbon. “Passengers” may also opt for a selection of sherries, beers, sodas and local wines, along with non-alcoholic cocktails. As for how the drinking-meets-travel idea came to be, Harris admits it was a long time in the making.
“We travel a ton and we’re fully airline status people; we spend a lot of time in airports, we’re there enough that we can poke fun at the idiosyncrasies of travel that amuse us. And we thought people who also travel would be amused, too,” he says.
Adds Schick, “In general, we’re trying to go for a more universal travel experience. We really like playing with the verisimilitude of this menu — so that it’s not a totally personal thing. It’s supposed to mimic the experience of being on a plane, not our personal travels.”
The United loyalists admit that their own travel experiences involve drinking things they don’t normally drink. (“Airports are the only place I ever drink Sam Adams,” Schick admits, adding that he’ll only drink Heineken on airplanes.)
“It’s not really about me,” Schick says, “but I can say I’m especially pleased with the PIK (Glasgow Prestwick Airport), made with scotch, Campari, and a banana liqueur we’re making with orange pekoe tea and Islay Falernum bitters. It’s nuanced and deep and satisfying in its flavor.”
“Hopefully there’s something for anyone on this menu — no matter what their mood is,” Harris says.
“I don’t care about the drinks,” he adds with a laugh. “I just like the collateral: the wings, the coasters, the napkins. Five cities are represented on the cocktail napkins and the check presenters look like the sleeve that paper tickets used to go in. And the frequent flier program!”
Yes, the James Beard Foundation Award-nominated bar will reward drinkers for frequenting the “airline,” with more promotions rolling out over the coming months. In the meantime, check out the menu in full here.
All photos courtesy of Trick Dog
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees