San Francisco Bar Launches Aviation-Themed Cocktail Menu
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Trick Dog, San Francisco’s award-winning cocktail bar helmed by partners Josh Harris and Morgan Schick, just unveiled an aviation-themed drink menu with frequent fliers in mind. The Mission District bar — known for introducing a brand-new cocktail menu based on a different theme every six months — recently announced the arrival of Trick Dog Airways, running from now until July 5, 2018.
Riffing on in-flight information cards, TD Airways has a tri-fold menu with illustrations by Peter Gamlen and features plane model diagrams, international terminal maps and business class selections for those who like upgrades. (Proceeds from the sale of the menu itself benefit Seven Tepees Youth Programs, Trick Dog’s long-time non-profit partner.)
Named for international airport terminals — from Sydney to Boston — the drinks are divided into Spirit-driven and Citrus cocktails on the TD Airways “Where We Fly” map. Along with cocktails, patrons can find options in the Shots, Highball and Low-Proof sections; those in need of a boost may want to try the low-proof Red Eye, made with Aperol, Mezcal Unión, Combier Kummel, tomato, pineapple and lemon.
In the business class section, Trick Dog Airways lists private barrel spirits on the menu, including a 2017 Mellow Corn whiskey and an Elijah Craig bourbon. “Passengers” may also opt for a selection of sherries, beers, sodas and local wines, along with non-alcoholic cocktails. As for how the drinking-meets-travel idea came to be, Harris admits it was a long time in the making.
“We travel a ton and we’re fully airline status people; we spend a lot of time in airports, we’re there enough that we can poke fun at the idiosyncrasies of travel that amuse us. And we thought people who also travel would be amused, too,” he says.
Adds Schick, “In general, we’re trying to go for a more universal travel experience. We really like playing with the verisimilitude of this menu — so that it’s not a totally personal thing. It’s supposed to mimic the experience of being on a plane, not our personal travels.”
The United loyalists admit that their own travel experiences involve drinking things they don’t normally drink. (“Airports are the only place I ever drink Sam Adams,” Schick admits, adding that he’ll only drink Heineken on airplanes.)
“It’s not really about me,” Schick says, “but I can say I’m especially pleased with the PIK (Glasgow Prestwick Airport), made with scotch, Campari, and a banana liqueur we’re making with orange pekoe tea and Islay Falernum bitters. It’s nuanced and deep and satisfying in its flavor.”
“Hopefully there’s something for anyone on this menu — no matter what their mood is,” Harris says.
“I don’t care about the drinks,” he adds with a laugh. “I just like the collateral: the wings, the coasters, the napkins. Five cities are represented on the cocktail napkins and the check presenters look like the sleeve that paper tickets used to go in. And the frequent flier program!”
Yes, the James Beard Foundation Award-nominated bar will reward drinkers for frequenting the “airline,” with more promotions rolling out over the coming months. In the meantime, check out the menu in full here.
All photos courtesy of Trick Dog
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees