How to Get a Better Passenger Rating, According to Uber’s CEO
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi has been making headlines as of late. On Tuesday, he shared that Uber will put real self-driving cars on the road in less than two years and that flying taxis aren’t actually just a pipe dream.
Now, the CEO thinks he knows the key to upping your passenger rating and reaching that coveted five-star status.
Khosrowshahi, who’s currently attending the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, spoke to CNBC’s Squawk Box about how the company is planning on improving its driver and passenger rating systems. He also claimed that he’s seen his own rating go up after tipping more. (Yep, even the CEO of Uber gets rated.)
“You should tip more,” Khosrowshahi said. “I am a very aggressive tipper right now. I pick the highest tip every time. Somehow my rating is getting better. I’m not sure if it’s aggressive tipping. Everybody, tip aggressively.”
It’s hard to tell if this will actually up your score, since drivers leave passenger ratings without knowing if the rider tipped them or not. Simply being friendly to your driver and being at your pickup location when the car arrives are actually more likely to affect your score.
Right now, riders with high ratings are matched with drivers with nicer cars, but Khosrowshahi also wants passengers to be able to “opt-in to a higher level of service,” which seemingly means that those passengers could also get a driver with a better rating.
“When you get a 4.8 or 4.9 rated driver, know that that driver has passed an array of background checks and has a history,” Khosrowshahi said. “That’s more information than you have if you hail a cab in New York City.”
Last year, Uber revamped its passenger and driver rating system, which helped make things more fair for UberPool drivers and allowing riders to more easily check their score.
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/ NurPhoto / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees