This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I found a great fare to Nice (NCE) from my home in Los Angeles (LAX). The outbound put me on Lufthansa through Munich, a solid economy-class experience on an Airbus A340-600. The return had me on Swiss through Zurich (ZRH). How would the long flights over the Atlantic compare?
Check-in and Airport
Boarding and Seat
Boarding was scheduled for 12:35. With fine Swiss timing, it began on the dot and I was at my seat in less than a minute. More than one passenger had trouble opening the overhead bins, which dropped down with a hydraulic piston, but they provided lots of space. Economy class was in the dense 3-4-3 layout that’s now become commonplace on 777s in coach.
The overall configuration is in three classes with 340 seats total: 8 in First, 62 in Business, and 270 in Economy with 32 inches of pitch and 17.3 of width, the latter measurements pretty standard for this airplane.
Service and Amenities
Flight attendants (I was told “about 14” work this flight) were professional and efficient and communication from the flight deck (in German, then English) was very good. With a scheduled departure of 1:10pm, at 1:05, the captain announced we were waiting for connecting passengers but also, due to snow, we would have to de-ice, which would “take some time.” He expected to be airborne in “about half an hour.” Boarding was completed at 1:15 and we pulled from the gate at 1:18.
Food and Beverage
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards